After being suspended from international cricket over nine-year-old tweets, Ollie Robinson has decided to take a short break from the game. Following a great Test debut, Robinson was suspended over tweets from 2012-13 where he had posted racist and sexist comments. The pacer scalped seven wickets on debut against New Zealand.
“Ollie Robinson will not be part of the Sussex Sharks squad for the team’s opening two Vitality Blast fixtures against Gloucestershire and Hampshire Hawks on Friday and Saturday evenings. After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family,” the club said in a statement.
“Player and staff welfare – including mental health and wellbeing – is a priority for the club and, as such, Sussex Cricket fully supports Ollie in his decision. When he is ready to return, Ollie will be welcomed back to the club, where discussions with the remainder of the squad over the last week have made clear that he retains the support of all his Sussex teammates. We remain in close contact with Ollie from a welfare perspective and will issue further updates on his availability at the relevant times.“
Ollie Robinson opens up on his past tweets
Earlier, Ollie Robinson had also broken his silence on his past comments. He regretted his actions while feeling ashamed for the same.
“I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I was thoughtless and irresponsible, and regardless of my state of mind at the time, my actions were inexcusable. Since that period, I have matured as a person and fully regret the tweets,” Robinson had said.
The ECB on Sunday has announced an investigation into his abusive remarks. Soon after Robinson (27) was handed his maiden Test cap, his past tweets surfaced on social media and became the talking point in the fraternity.
“England and Sussex bowler Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following historic tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013,” the ECB said in a statement on Sunday.