FIFA will continue to support women’s Football in contempt of COVID-19

94

Football’s apex body says it will maintain funding for women’s football despite concern about the impact of the coronavirus epidemic. Monitoring Women’s World Cup last year, FIFA president Gianni Infantino committed to providing $1 billion in the women’s game over the next four years.

“In line with the FIFA Women’s Football Strategy and FIFA’s long-term vision for the development of women’s football, this funding will be invested into a range of areas in the women’s game including competitions, capacity building, development programs, governance and leadership, professionalisation and technical programs,” FIFA said in a statement provided Tuesday to The Associated Press. “We can confirm that this funding has already been committed by FIFA and will not be impacted by the current COVID-19 crisis.”

The Guardian first reported that FIFA’s funding will not provide because of the coronavirus. FIFA also said that it is evaluating the financial effects having on football globally, including the women’s game and is finding the possible outcomes to provide assistance.

“The exact format and details of this assistance are currently being discussed in consultation with FIFA’s member associations, the confederations and other stakeholders,” the organisation said.

FIFA also said its a duty to support from its cash reserve, which was noted $2.7 billion last time, as the economic fallout of the pandemic ripple across the global association football.

The organization said last month, ” FIFA is in a strong financial situation and it’s our duty to do the utmost to help them in their hour of need”.

“FIFA is working on possibilities to provide assistance to the football community around the world after making a comprehensive assessment of the financial impact this pandemic will have on football.”

Infantino took a pledge to FIFA’s member association by a video message. After FIFPro, the International player’s union report asked for continued financial help for women’s football globally, FIFA’s commitment comes.

The issued report says COVID-19 is ” likely to present an almost existential threat to the women’s game if no specific considerations are given to protect the women’s football industry.”

Cancellation and postponement of events indicate the virus has a huge impact on women’s game. In Colombia, only the men’s team would only have pay cuts as Independiente Santa Fe cancelled all players contract for its women’s team.

The pandemic hits at a time when the women’s team was reaching a height of success by their last year’s World Cup in France.

“We do have concerns about investments in the women’s game being dropped or reduced or pre-crisis investments being withdrawn, ultimately, from the women’s game. We’re concerned that decision-makers might ignore the needs of women or exclude women’s football from recovering support programs,” said Amanda Vandervort, chief women’s football officer for FIFPro.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here