Kevin De Bruyne injury was revealed today, he has suffered a fractured nose and left orbital damage following his collision with Antonio Rudiger during Manchester City’s 1-0 defeat in the Champions League final against Chelsea on Saturday.
Kevin De Bruyne suffered multiple facial fractures during the Champions League final. The Manchester City midfielder had to leave the pitch in the second-half of his side’s loss to Chelsea on Saturday night. The 29-year-old Belgian playmaker had to be replaced by Gabriel Jesus in the 60th minute on Saturday evening following a collision with Blues centre-back Antonio Rudiger and had visible bruise marks on his face.
Kevin De Bruyne Injury update: “I feel OK now” tweeted De Bruyne after diagnosis
Manchester City’s midfielder Kevin De Bruyne suffered a fracture eye socket and nose during his side’s 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in the Champions League final.
The 29-year-old playmaker was caught by Chelsea’s Germany defender Antonio Rudiger, and it appeared to be a troublesome problem as Kyle Walker stood by the player as he received treatment from City’s medical team.
The Belgian was assessed by City’s physios and the club doctor as De Bruyne was seen with a noticeable black eye. The decision was then taken for De Bruyne to be substituted off due to the injury and he was clearly not happy with the call. Gabriel Jesus came on in his place, with a visibly devastated De Bruyne being consoled by City’s backroom staff as he left the pitch in tears.
De Bruyne left the field in tears in Porto and was taken to hospital as the swelling around his face worsened and has now provided an update on his injury after a hospital visit on Sunday morning.
“Hi guys just got back from the hospital,” De Bruyne tweted confirming his injury and his well being.
“My diagnosis is Acute nose bone fracture and left orbital fracture. I feel okay now. Still disappointed about yesterday obviously but we will be back.”
Rudiger also took to Twitter on Sunday afternoon to reveal he had been in touch with De Bruyne to wish him well: “I’m really sorry for @DeBruyneKev’s injury.
“Of course this was not intentional from me – I’ve already been in touch with Kevin personally and I really wish him a speedy recovery and hope we can see him back on the pitch very soon again.”
With the European Championship now less than a fortnight away, the Belgium international’s participation could be in doubt as De Bruyne will hope to make a full recovery for Belgium’s Euro 2020 campaign which begins in less than two weeks. Belgium’s first game of the tournament is against Russia on Saturday, June 12.
Roberto Martínez, Belgium’s head coach, hit out at the German centre-back following the incident. “Rüdiger is very, very fortunate,” said Martínez. “When you look at the replay, there’s no clash of heads. He’s properly leaving the shoulder against Kevin. He seems concussed and we will see the state of that. But that leaves a sour taste, because Rüdiger’s holding his head [as if he too was injured] – it’s almost that he wants to show that he’s hiding something.
“For me, it was excessive force and it was reckless. And it should have been a red card. Kevin is not a player that goes down for no reason. You can see the pain and it’s a swollen eye.” said Martinez.
There are no indications yet whether the midfielder will be fit for the match in St Petersburg or if his injuries threaten his participation in the rest of the tournament. The country’s national team boss Roberto Martinez has until Tuesday 1 June to decide the members of his squad. Sources however assured that the injury is unlikely to force De Bruyne to miss the entire tournament, with the former Chelsea player able to play with a facial mask to protect the injured area.