Romanian professional tennis player and defending champion Simona Halep said on her twitter account that “sad to hear” about the cancellation of Wimbledon due to Coronavirus Pandemic.
Last year she won her maiden Wimbledon title as she defeat Serena Williams 6-2,6-2 in finals.
Wimbledon has been cancelled for the first time since World War ll because of the coronavirus pandemic. The tournament was due to be played between 29 June and 12 July 2020. Officials made the difficult but increasingly inevitable decision to cancel Wimbledon amid the novel coronavirus outbreak Wednesday, calling the tournament off for the first.
Taking to Twitter Halep wrote, “So sad to hear @Wimbledon won’t take place this year. Last year’s final will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we are going through something bigger than tennis and Wimbledon will be back! And it means I have even longer to look forward to defending my title.”
So sad to hear @Wimbledon won’t take place this year. Last year’s final will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we are going through something bigger than tennis and Wimbledon will be back! And it means I have even longer to look forward to defending my title ? pic.twitter.com/PmppwUuKtD— Simona Halep (@Simona_Halep) April 1, 2020
“It is with great regret that the Main Board of the All England Club (AELTC) and the Committee of Management of The Championships have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic,” AELTC said in a statement on Wednesday.
American Tennis Player Coco Gauff, who is the youngest player ranked in the top 100 by the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) and won her first WTA singles title at the 2019 Linz Open at the age of 15.
i’m gonna miss playing in @Wimbledon this year?. Stay safe everyone, love you guys❤️?— Coco Gauff (@CocoGauff) April 1, 2020
Gauff also reacts on Cancellation of Wimbledon due to COVID-19 and said on social media that the news left her heart broken as she will miss playing in the competition. “I’m gonna miss playing in @Wimbledon this year Broken heart. Stay safe everyone, love you guys,” the US tennis player tweeted.
Worldwide around 936,00 people tested positive and near 47,000 died due to Coronavirus Pandemic, according to worldometer.