Manchester United has confirmed that their weekend clash with Brighton has been postponed as only 7 players are available for selection for the upcoming fixture.
Man United was one of the recent teams that announced their problematic covid situation after most of the players and staff were found positive before they clashed with Brentford.
The club has also put Carrington under lockdown, in a bid to try and contain the outbreak and hope if they don’t play again now for 11 days before they travel to Newcastle.
Manchester United decided to shut down Carrington for 24 hours on Monday after the initial outbreak was confirmed with Rapid Flow tests. A total of 17 players returned to training on Wednesday, but there were more positive tests as a result and after talks with the Premier League, Saturdays have been postponed.
Manchester United in a Statement
A United statement said: “Manchester United can confirm that our Premier League fixture against Brighton, scheduled for Saturday 18 December at 12:30, has been postponed and will be rescheduled in due course.
“The health of players and staff is our priority. Given the number of players and support staff having to isolate due to Covid-19, the club had no option other than to request the match be rearranged. The Premier League Board took the decision to postpone based on guidance from medical advisors.
“We will also suspend football training operations at the Carrington Training Complex for a short period to help reduce risk of further transmission. We regret any disappointment and inconvenience caused to fans by the postponement.”
The Premier League also shared a long statement regarding the arising Covid19 situation
A Premier League statement said: “Manchester United’s fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion this weekend has been postponed by the Premier League Board today.
“It is with regret that this is the fourth Premier League fixture to have been postponed in the past week.
“While recognizing a number of clubs are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks, it is the League’s intention to continue its current fixture schedule where safely possible. The health and wellbeing of all concerned remain our priority.
“Regarding Manchester United’s game on Saturday, the club continues to have an ongoing COVID-19 outbreak within their squad, which has left them unable to field a team for the match at Old Trafford.
“A significant number of COVID-19 cases led to their game against Brentford FC being called off earlier this week, and today additional positive tests have been confirmed.
The Premier League further added
“The board assesses applications to postpone matches on a case-by-case basis, based on existing rules and COVID-19 postponement guidance issued to all clubs.
“It will assess a number of factors, including the ability of a club to field a team; the status, severity and potential impact of the COVID-19 outbreak at the club; and the ability of the players to safely prepare for and play the match. The Board must also consider the wider risks to the opposition and other people the club may come into contact with.
“In light of the recent rise in COVID-19 cases across the country, the Premier League has reintroduced Emergency Measures. These include protocols such as more frequent testing, wearing face coverings while indoors, observing social distancing, and limiting treatment time.”
Manchester United also announced the training center will be closed to contain further transmission. David de Gea, Marcus Rashford, Fred, and Alex Telles were four of the players who trained at Carrington’s training base before it closed again.
The match is the fifth Premier League match to be called off due to outbreaks of the Omicron variant – but the Premier League insists there will not be a league-wide suspension of matches.