Organisers expect U.S Open decision in June: NY Times Report

85

The United States Tennis Association is expecting to make a final decision about the commencement of The U.S. Open in the month of June. Further, The Association is also planning to provide 15 Million Dollars in order to provide assistance to the tennis bodies which are struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The tennis season this year was stopped in March due to the global pandemic as countries began locking down their borders and introducing measures to contain the spread of this virus.

USTA Chief Executive Michael Dowse, was quoted by NYT as saying, “We don’t have a hard date set yet (to make a decision), just because things are changing so fast.”

“You can imagine the runway to ramp up the U.S. Open is not a short runway, so I’m thinking probably the latter part of June, sometime in that June time frame.” he added.

Dowse also said that the emergency funding was not dependent on the fate of The Wimbledon Championship, which is now cancelled for the first time after World War 2. However, Wimbledon was the main source of revenue for the organisation.

Dowse said, “These plans will hold, This was modelled off what we know we can do, and then in theory if we can do more, we will try to do that as well.”

“We’ve got to keep these tennis clubs and teaching pros afloat through this as much as we can.” he added.

Over 636,000 people have tested positive for the Novel Coronavirus ‘COVID-19’ and close to 31,000 have died in the United States itself.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here