After Henry Cejudo vacated the title Petr Yan won the UFC bantamweight belt with a dominating victory over Jose Aldo. Aljamain Sterling is on a five-fight winning streak and was supposed to face the champ on UFC 256, but Yan pulled out of the fight due to some personal reasons.
Petr Yan is (15-1) on his professional record and has not lost a fight in UFC he is a dominant force inside the octagon and he is a tough challenge for anyone posing a challenge for the title.
Aljamain Sterling is (19-3) on his professional record and he has a great ground game, he secured a fast first-round victory against his last opponent Cory Sandhagen at UFC 250 in June.
This is an interesting matchup as Yan prefers to keep the fight standing and Sterling likes to sprawl on the ground, until now Yan has shown that he can easily dominate anyone in the striking but he has not been tested on the ground that much, so Sterling’s bet chance would be to take the fight on the ground and keep it there.
UFC 259 is going to take place on March 6, location for the event has not been decided yet but it will air on ESPN and ESPN+.
UFC 259 fight card
UFC 259 card has 3 title fights now, and the UFC 259 fight card now includes:
- 1. Jan Blachowicz vs. Israel Adesanya – for light heavyweight title
- 2. Amanda Nunes vs. Megan Anderson – for women’s featherweight title
- . Petr Yan vs. Aljamain Sterling – for bantamweight title
- 4. Aleksandar Rakic vs. Thiago Santos
- 5. Dominick Cruz vs. Casey Kenney
- 6. Drew Dober vs. Islam Makhachev
- 7. Askar Askarov vs. Joseph Benavidez
- 8. Sean Brady vs. Jake Matthews
- 9. Randy Costa vs. Trevin Jones
- 10. Aalon Cruz vs. Uros Medic
- 11. Tim Elliott vs. Jordan Espinosa