Keeping the current situation in mind, former IPL Chairman Rajeev Shukla on Thursday, stated that it is impossible to start the 13th edition of tournament even after 15th of April. Earlier, IPL was postponed till April 15 in the view to contain the spread of The Novel Coronavirus ‘COVID-19’.
In an interaction with ANI, Shukla said, “I don’t see any preparation, our priority is to fight coronavirus and save people. See it will all depend on the government what decision they will take. We will go by the government decision. We are hearing that lockdown may extend in this situation if you think IPL can happen by April 15 so it seems not possible.”
When it was asked about whether foreign players will be participating in the IPL once the situation is under control, Shukla said that in the current situation no match is possible and also no foreigners are allowed to board India.
Although, The Central government on the 11th of March suspended all visas to India till 15th of the next month, in order to contain the spread of this virus.
Currently, India has recorded 6,725 number of positive cases, among which 620 are cured and 226 have lost their lives. According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), one lakh thirty thousand samples have been tested so far.