Retired tennis player Maria Sharapova is currently exploring different avenues as an entrepreneur ever since she retired from the sport in 2020. Having won 5 Grand Slam titles including a Career Slam to go with an Olympics Silver medal, the former World No. 1 remains one of the most popular players in tennis.
Maria recently came under criticism for her Instagram post. Despite having lived in the USA since she was 7-years old, Maria identifies herself as a Russian as she was born there. In the wake of the war between Russia and Ukraine that began on 24th February 2022 when Russian forces started their attempt to invade Ukraine, Maria came forward to inform about making a donation to an organisation that works towards saving and caring for children affected by the war.
While the gesture was heartwarming as she requested her followers also to make any possible donation, her use of words ‘Escalating crisis in Ukraine’ was not well taken and seen as an attempt to avoid using the word ‘War’ as she continues to be a Russian citizen. While many of the comments saw the player getting appreciated for her efforts, many others criticised her for not using the correct words.
Maria Sharapova criticised for not saying war
Many users were unhappy with Sharapova for trying to avoid using the word war. While many Russians have avoided comments as the Russian government has made life difficult for its critics as per various reports, Sharapova faced flak on the social media platform in the comment section with some of the comments mentioned below.
- “Which crisis ate you referring to? The invasion of a country you mean?”
- “But is it a crisis if it was made by a government purposely?” “Good, but people must notice that this is not a special operation, it‘s W A R. Made by a handful people.”
- “waaaaay too late for this post. where were you and your marketing team days ago when you were posting nonsense”
- “Way to stay neutral. Go back to posting fashion things.”
- “And it took you 2 weeks to feel that way? Very disappointing”
- “WHAT CRISIS? CAN YOU EXPLAIN A BIT MORE WHAT KIND OF CRISIS IT IS PLEASE? THIS IS TASTELESS.”
- “You do know the invasion occurred before Paris fashion week…?” “Finally some response from your side! I have donated already last week while you attended a fashion show”
- “CRISIS???????????????????????????????? WHAT A CRISIS. YOU ARE CONFUSING THE TERM.
YOUR COUNTRY HAS GROUNDLESSLY INVADED OTHER STATE AND CURRENTLY IS MURDERING CIVILS.”