Simona Halep expressed her sadness over cancellation of Wimbledon. But she finds positivity in this as she will be defending Wimbledon champion for two years. She described being defending champion for two year is “rare and special”. Wimbledon was cancelled for the first time since second world war.
The 28 year old produced a flawless performance against Serena Williams in final last year to win her second major title. But this year she will not be able to defend it as the grasscourt Gramd Slam is cancelled due to ongoing corona virus pandemic.
Halep told Eurosport’s Tennis Legends vodcast: “I take it positively, because I am now the defending champion for two years. So, I have to live with that for one more year so that’s a good thing again,” she said when asked about cancellation of Wimbledon.
“I am excited that I will be able to play the first match on (the) Tuesday I think on Centre Court. So, I really want to make this experience. It’s going to be great for sure. I know that the worst scenario in my head is that this year is going to be cancelled and, yeah, I’m sure we’re going to overcome this period if we listen and stay home safely,” she said.
US open is now postponed to August-September,while talking about it she said, “I think it’s going to be longer than July. We hope for the US Open (scheduled for 31 August to 13 September) but it’s not sure because New York is struggling now.”
No alarm clock, only lots of sleep
“It’s the longest period that I haven’t touched a racket. Not the ball, the racket — since Dubai,” she said. “And I want to keep it that way for one more month.
“I just kept it very safe because I am a little bit scared about it. And I just want to stay chilled. I wake up at around 10 or 11. It’s very good to have a lot of sleep. No alarm clock, no schedule, so I just wake up. I have a late breakfast and then I do some running here in the complex. Because we are allowed to do it, it’s a private residence,” she said.
“In the house I work on my core and my other exercises. So, every day I am working and I feel fit yes.”
While talking about Coronavirs Pandemic
“It’s just a world problem and I just want to say that it’s safer that everything got cancelled. It’s not a small problem, it’s a huge problem. And we just have to listen to what they say, to stay home and being very safe,” she said.
Currently all tennis action is on hold and there is possibllity that whole season is wiped out. WTA Tour and ATP Tour have been shut down until the middle of July, at least. Halep is also thinking that there can be a longer suspension of the season, possibly the whole year.