In a historic day for Czech tennis, Barbora Krejcikova got the better of Russian 31st seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in three sets 6-1,2-6,6-4 to lift a grand slam singles trophy for the first time in her career. Krejcikova becomes the first Czech woman to lift the Coupe Suzanne-Lenglen in 40 years.
After two completely contrasting sets of tennis in which both players took it in turns to prove their mettle, it was the Czech World No.33 who raised her form when needed and ran away with the match. After this match, she will enter the Top 20 and will be the new World No.15 on Monday.
Barbora Krejcikova’s Grand Slam list
2013 Roland Garros girls’ doubles (with Katerina Siniakova)
2013 Wimbledon girls’ doubles (with Katerina Siniakova)
2013 US Open girls’ doubles (with Katerina Siniakova)
2018 Roland Garros women’s doubles (with Katerina Siniakova)
2018 Wimbledon women’s doubles (with Katerina Siniakova
2019 Australian Open mixed doubles (with Rajeev Ram)
2020 Australian Open mixed doubles (with Nikola Mektic)
2021 Australian Open mixed doubles (with Rajeev Ram)
2021 Roland Garros women’s singles
List of feats achieved and interesting stats after Barbora Krejcikova’s victory
- Barbora Krejcikova become the first Czech player to win Roland Garros since Hana Mandlikova in 1981
- Krejcikova is the sixth Czech woman to reach the final at Roland Garros in the Open Era
- Five of the last eight women’s French Open finals have gone to a deciding set. No men’s French Open final has gone to a deciding set since 2004.
- Krejcikova is the third unseeded Roland Garros champion in the past five years after Jelena Ostapenko (2017) and Iga Swiatek (2020).
- This was just Krejcikova’s fifth grand slam main draw. Monica Seles and Bianca Andreescu are the only two women to have won a major title with fewer main draw appearances.
- This is the sixth straight year(since 2016) when the French Open has been won by a first-time Grand Slam singles champion on the women’s side.
- has become the third woman in the Open Era after Anastasia Myskina and Justine Henin to win Roland Garros after facing match point en route to the final. She saved one in the semifinal against Maria Sakkari.