World No.1 Novak Djokovic showed the world why he is the best player in the world currently in the 2021 French Open final. The Serbian legend beat fifth seed and first-timer Stefanos Tsitsipas in a 5-set epic, coming from two sets to love down to win his 19th grand slam title in over four hours 6-7(6),2-6,6-3,6-2,6-4.
The top seed lost the opening two sets and it seemed like his emphatic semi-final win over 13-time Champion Rafael Nadal would go in vain. But overcoming all odds, Djokovic proved his mettle and staged a perfect comeback to lift the Coupe des Mousquetaires for the second time.
With his historic win, Djokovic now has 19 grand slam titles to his name and is just 1 major away from equaling his old foes Federer and Nadal. Having said that, he also broke many other records and inched even closer to his quest of becoming the Greatest of all time.
Most Grand Slam titles
List of feats achieved and interesting stats after Novak Djokovic’s victory
- Novak Djokovic becomes the first man in the open era to complete the career slam twice- i.e. to win all the grand slams two times.
- For the first time in 29 attempts, Djokovic wins a grand slam final after losing the first two sets.
- For the first time in 17 years, the Roland Garros final went down the distance. The last time a final on Chatrier went to 5 sets was in 2004.
- Djokovic has now won 19 grand slam titles and is just one grand slam away from Nadal and Federer(20 each).
- Djokovic has won 13 of the last 26 Slams played since Wimbledon 2014. That is 50% in the last 7 years.
- Djokovic is now tied at 4th spot for most no.of French Open titles won. Only Nadal(13), Borg(6) and Wilander/Lendl(3) have more titles than him.
- After his win over Tsitsipas, Djokovic improves his 5th set record win percentage to 77.7%. He has won 35 and lost just 10 matches that have gone down the distance.