Home Tennis

Wimbledon star Nick Kyrgios charged with ‘serious’ allegations of assaulting ex-girlfriend Chiara Passari in Australia

Nick Kyrgios is set to appear in a court hearing next month after his ex-girlfriend pressed charges of assault.

Nick Kyrgios and Chiara Passari

Australian showman Nick Kyrgios is one of the most entertaining tennis players in the world with his explosive nature and style of play. Off the court too, Kyrgios always tries to stay relevant and keeps his social media active. He is considered tennis’ bad boy and hence lands up in trouble one day or the other.

At the end of last year, Kyrgios got into an ugly fight with his then-girlfriend, Chiara Passari. The fight reportedly got so ugly that the couple had to be kept in different rooms by the local Canberra police. Passari alleged that Kyrgios had assaulted her and even filed a legal complaint against the tennis star.

Currently, Kyrgios, who is competing at Wimbledon, will have to appear in court next month on the charges that Passari lodged against him. The charge, which is believed to be related to their domestic relationship, carries a maximum jail sentence of two years.

“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” police said on Tuesday afternoon.

Also Read: “He is authentic and I respect that” Novak Djokovic thanks Nick Kyrgios for support during the difficult time in Australia

“Mr. Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously”: Nick Kyrgios’ representative

Nick Kyrgios

Kyrgios’ representative Barrister Jason Moffett told The Canberra Times about Kyrgios’ perspective. He revealed that the charges were related to the domestic relationship the two parties shared. “It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he said.

He added that the nature of the allegation is serious and Kyrgios is taking it very seriously. He also informed them that Kyrgios will soon release a media statement.

“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr. Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release,” he said.

Also ReadIn a bizarre incident, Wimbledon forced a Romanian player to change her bra after entering the court

Also Read“My son would have been defaulted” Nick Kyrgios’ father calls out the ‘Double Standards’ of tennis officials after Stefanos Tsitsipas deliberately smacked a ball in the stands and continued playing