After the turbulent times in Australia over his vaccine stance, Novak Djokovic has finally received some respite. French Open organizers have confirmed that the Serb will be allowed to defend his title at the Roland Garros.
Djokovic was initially included in the main draw of the Australian Open earlier this year, but he was deported just days before the tournament began. But looks like there will not be any major setbacks for the 20-time Grand Slam champion at the French Open after France scrapped the green pass and also eased the Covid restrictions. Tournament director Amelie Mauresmo confirmed there aren’t any restrictions currently that stands in way of the Serb and his title defense. The tournament is scheduled to take place between May 22- June 5th.
“As things stand, nothing stands in the way of Djokovic taking part in the French Open,” tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said at a press conference.
But French Tennis Federation (FFT) President Gilles Moretton, said that changes might take place as the virus is still rampant and the situation might take a shift at any moment, so there still looms a cloud of uncertainty over the participation of unvaccinated players.
“There’s still a virus circulating, and we have to be cautious. If things were to happen again and the government would take new measures, we would not be excluded from these measures,” Moretton said.
Novak Djokovic to begin his clay-court season at the Monte-Carlo Masters
Djokovic will kick start his clay-court swing at the Monte Carlo Masters, which begins on April 14th. This will mark just his second tournament this season. Djokovic competed at the Dubai Tennis Championships where he was knocked out in the quarter-finals by Czech qualifier Jiri Vesely. Following that, the World No.2 had to pull out from the Sunshine double as there was a travel ban still in place restricting unvaccinated people from entering the United States.
But Djokovic will face no such troubles due to the clay-court season. He confirmed his participation in the Monte Carlo Masters, which will be the curtain-raiser for the clay-court season. He will then compete at the Serbia Open, which begins on April 18th.
Following Daniil Medvedev’s early exit at the Indian Wells, Djokovic is all set to reclaim his No.1 ranking, in the updated standings released on Monday. With the clay-court season beginning soon, the Serb will be eager to stake his claim and consolidate his position at the top of the standings.