We are now into the fourth round of US Open 2020. On the sixth day of the Grand Slam, we witnessed some intense & quality Tennis by the legends as well as the rookies. All in all, it was an enjoyable day for all those who follow and love the sport. Further in the article, we will have look at the results from Day 6.
Djokovic eases past Struff
World No.1 Novak Djokovic easily won in the third round match against Jan-Lennard Struff of Germany in straight sets by 6-3, 6-3, 6-1. Novak was on top of his game and did not give a chance to Struff to even think of dominating the game. Coming into round three, Struff was yet to lose a set in the tournament but all he managed was losing three sets on a trott to Novak. Djokovic served very well and the stats suggests the same, his win percentage on 1st & 2nd serves were 78% & 72% respectively. This also marked his 600th career win on hard-courts.
“It was a very good performance from my side. I managed to read his serve well. I found my way, especially after the first set. The second and third sets were a really good feeling on the court. I’ve been training well the past couple of weeks, focusing on the right things, maintaining that level of performance and hoping for the best. I’m feeling confident about my game and taking that to every match I play”, Djokovic said after the match.
Medvedev cruises past Wolf
Daniil Medvedev of Russia showed his high-class game against the American Tennis player JJ Wolf. Medvedev won the match in straight sets by 6-3, 6-3, 6-2 and confirmed his place in the next round. Medvedev majorly relied on his brilliant service and won 13 points through aces. Also, his win percentage on the first serve was as high as 79%. He will now face another American, Frances Tiafoe in the fourth round.
Pospisil triumphs over Bautista
Coming into round three by making one the bigger upsets of the tournament by defeating Milos Raonic in the second round, Vasek Pospisil has continued his positive approach and has defeated Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain in the 5 set long encounter at the Louis Armstrong Stadium by 5-7, 6-2, 6-4, 3-6, 2-6. Bautista was considered as one of the toughest opponents in the tournament this year. The unseeded Canadian will now face the 21st seed of the tournament Alex De Minaur of USA.
Serena conquers Stephens
Serena Williams who is chasing her 24th Grand Slam title has won her third-round match against fellow American player Sloane Stephens in the third set by 6-2, 2-6, 2-6. Serena looked a bit rusty and stiff in the first set and even after getting 4 breakpoints on a couple of occasions, she couldn’t capture the games.
But anyhow she was all charged up in the final two sets and won convincingly. She will now face Maria Sakkari in the next round. The major difference between the two Americans in the third round clash was the service, where Serena served 12 aces, Stephens could not even serve a single ace in the match.
Sakkari defeats Anisimova
15th seed of the tournament Maria Sakkari won convincingly over Amanda Anisimova of USA in straight sets by 6-3, 6-1. It was all Sakkari in the match as she did not give any chances to Amanda to go ahead of her. Sakkari will now face the most seasoned candidate Serena Williams in the fifth round of the tournament.
Kvitova moves past Pegula
Czech tennis star Petra Kvitova won the third round match of the US Open 2020 against Jessica Pegula of USA in straight sets by 6-4, 6-3. She has been in very fine touch and also serving with great intensity as she used to do earlier. She dominated the game with her brilliance on the court and her ability to constantly attack. Her forehand strokes were right up to the mark. She will now lock horns with Shelby Rogers in the round of 16.
- # Dominic Thiem won against Marin Cilic by 2-6, 2-6, 6-3, 3-6.
- # Frances Tiafoe won against Marton Fucsovics by 6-2, 6-3, 6-2.
- # Felix Auger Aliassime won against Corentin Moutet by 6-1, 6-0, 6-4.
- # Matteo Berrettini won against Casper Ruud by 6-4, 6-4, 6-2.
- # Alex De Minaur won against Karen Khachanov by 6-4, 0-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1.
- # Andrey Rublev won against Salvatore Caruso by 0-6, 4-6, 0-6.
- # Borna Coric won against Stefanos Tsitsipas by 7-6, 4-6, 6-4, 5-7, 6-7.
- # Alexander Zverev won against Adrian Mannarino by 7-4, 4-6, 2-6, 2-6.
- # Pablo Carreno Busta won against Ricardas Berankis by 6-4, 6-3, 6-2.
- # Denis Shapovalov won against Taylor Fritz by 3-6, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2.
- # Jordan Thompson won against Mikhail Kukushkin by 7-5, 6-4, 6-1.
- # Elise Mertens won against Caty McNally by 7-5, 6-1.
- # Karolina Muchova won against Sorana Cirstea by 6-3, 2-6, 7-6.
- # Shelby Rogers won against Madison Brengle by 6-2, 6-4.
- # Anett Kontaveit won against Magda Linette by 6-3, 6-2.
- # Sofia Kenin won against Ons Jabeur by 7-6, 6-3.
- # Alize Cornet won against Madison Keys by 7-6, 3-2 (retired).
- # Victoria Azarenka won against Iga Swiatek by 6-4, 6-2.
- # Tsvetana Pironkova won against Donna Vekic by 6-4, 6-1.