Andy Roddick predicts ‘ordinary’ tennis from Jakub Mensik on clay after Miami Open victory

Jakub Mensik took home his career's first ATP title by upsetting World No.5 Novak Djokovic in the Miami Open final.


Andy Roddick predicts ‘ordinary’ tennis from Jakub Mensik on clay after Miami Open victory

Andy Roddick, Jakub Mensik (Image via X/Tennis Channel, #AusOpen)

Jakub Mensik scripted history at the Miami Open as he became the first Czech player to lift an ATP Masters 1000 title since Tomas Berdych in 2005. Mensik is also the second-youngest man to take home the Miami Open.

It was his career’s first title. Novak Djokovic was his opponent, whom Mensik beat in straight sets with a pair of tie-breaks to deny him his 100th title and his seventh one in Miami.

YouTube video

But now, it’s time for the clay swing; but Mensik won’t won’t be playing the Monte Carlo Masters. Former player and 2003 US Open champion, Andy Roddick, analyzed his performance and in his verdict, he said that Mensik’s game doesn’t suit the red dirt.

You see his game and automatically go, ‘He serves big, he should be able to roll through at least 90% of his service games’. His backhand…he doesn’t mind it down, he hits it pretty flat. Wimbledon is a thing now. He has a little bit of an extreme grip on his forehand which doesn’t go to grass.

Andy Roddick said on his Served with Andy Roddick podcast

Last year on the clay swing, Mensik gave a walkover to Felix Auger-Aliassime before he suffered a first-round exit at the Italian Open after defeat to Yannick Hanfmann. He then withdrew from the French Open.

And then the movement, it’s hard to predict who is going to move well on the grass. So as well as this kid played this week I still think there is going to be every chance that 10 days from now in Monte Carlo, we see him look ordinary.

Andy Roddick added

Monte Carlo Masters is scheduled to start on April 5 (qualifying rounds) and had Mensik played, he would have to play the qualifying rounds despite reaching a career-best No.24 spot in the rankings table after Miami win. He put his name on the entry list when was ranked outside of the top 50.

Novak Djokovic congratulates Jakub Mensik after his Miami Open win

Jakub Mensik has tied his head-to-head record with Novak Djokovic to 1-1. Before defeating the Serb, he was knocked out by the 37-year-old in the Shanghai Masters quarterfinal last year.

Jakub Mensik (2)
Jakub Mensik (Image via X/ATP)

The Miami Open was Djokovic’s first final since he reached the summit clash of last year’s Shanghai Masters here World No.1 Jannik Sinner denied him the win. Two days after losing the final in Florida, Djokovic took to his social media accounts to congratulate Mensik for the win.

Congratulations Jakub. This is your moment! Enjoy it and keep striving for more. And thank you, @miamiopen. Great tournament, amazing support. Hope to be back again soon.

Novak Djokovic wrote on Instagram

Check out his post here:

Djokovic will shift his focus toward the Monte Carlo Masters next. Twice he won in the principality back in 2013 and 2015. But last year, the 24-time Grand Slam champion suffered a three-set defeat to Casper Ruud in the semifinals.

Jakub Mensik has become the first player to win seven tie-breaks before winning a Masters 1000 title

For the first time in the history of tennis, a player won all seven tie-breaks en route to lifting a Masters 1000 title. The 19-year-old played two tie-breaks against 2025 Indian Wells champion Jack Draper in the second round.

Jakub Mensik 3
Jakub Mensik (Image via Tennis Channel)

Then he knocked out Arthur Fils in the quarterfinals where first set was a tie-break. Against Taylor Fritz and Djokovic, Mensik played a combined four tie-breaks.

Mensik has also become the second player since John Isner to claim seven tie-breaks before winning an ATP title. The American had clinched the 2013 Atlanta Open by winning seven tie-breaks.