Carlos Alcaraz makes feelings clear about ‘rude’ players on ATP Tour and compares them with ‘idols’ Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal

World No.3 Carlos Alcaraz wants to walk in the footsteps of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal to be a good example for the kids.


Carlos Alcaraz makes feelings clear about ‘rude’ players on ATP Tour and compares them with ‘idols’ Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal

Carlos Alcaraz, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer (Image via X/BNP Paribas Open, GQ)

Carlos Alcaraz has asserted his dominance on the ATP tour but along with his game, he has also won the hearts of the tennis world due to conducts off the court. He doesn’t want success to change him as a person and with his on and off-court behavior, he wants to be a good example for the kids.

The Sunshine Double this season saw the newest champions as Jack Draper and Jakub Mensik lift the biggest titles of their careers at the Indian Wells and the Miami Open, respectively. Alcaraz failed to complete a three-peat in the California desert and got knocked out in his first match of the Miami Open.

YouTube video

He is now gearing up for the European clay swing. And ahead of it, Louis Vuitton, the luxury fashion band, shared an interview with Alcaraz where the Spaniard revealed what he thinks about the rude players on the tour.

Get good values when you’re on the court and off the court, that could be a good influence for the kids. When I see you know some players being rude, I feel like ‘What happened with this guy?’ When I see one of my idols, for example, my idol Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer or other athletes, you know being so kind all of the time, and performing pretty well on the court. When I started, I felt they were being such great guys for me.

Carlos Alcaraz said

Boris Becker explains what’s bad for Carlos Alcaraz

Carlos Alcaraz is always at the receiving end of criticism from some section of the tennis world whenever he decides to play exhibition events. Alcaraz has often criticized the hectic calendar but his complaints were dismissed as critics think Alcaraz should focus on rest during the off-season rather than play the exhibitions. Boris Becker is also of the same opinion.

Carlos Alcaraz (ATP/X)
Carlos Alcaraz (ATP/X)

I was afraid that the Spaniard would simply play too many tournaments and that he would also play exhibitions during the winter break. Then the exhibition in Vegas [it was in Puerto Rico] ahead of Indian Wells. This is all nice for the wallet, but for the annual planning, the tournament planning, it is bad. Unfortunately, I was right.

Boris Becker said on the Becker Petkovic podcast

Becker said that Alcaraz is in Mexico with his family and that he cannot imagine the youngster playing in the Monte Carlo Masters next. Alcaraz’s name is on the entry list for the upcoming Monte Carlo Masters but Becker thinks he could withdraw from the tournament. The main draw of the Monte Carlo Masters will start on April 6.

This season, Alcaraz has played five official tournaments: the Australian Open, Rotterdam Open, Qatar Open, Indian Wells, and the Miami Open. He participated in three exhibitions this year, two in Melbourne and one in Puerto Rico.

Carlos Alcaraz didn’t play at the Monte Carlo Masters in 2023 and 2024

Carlos Alcaraz has so far lifted just the Rotterdam Open this year. As the season’s first hard-court swing ended with the conclusion of the Miami Open, Alcaraz’s next target will be to claim the Monte Carlo Masters, where he will make his first appearance since 2022.

Carlos Alcaraz (6)
Carlos Alcaraz (Image via X/Tennis Panorama News)

The 21-year-old withdrew from the tournament last year due to an injury to his right arm. He instead kick-started his campaign on the clay at the Madrid Open.

The four-time Grand Slam champion won only one title on the red dirt last year: the French Open. He beat Alexander Zverev in five sets to claim the title following which, he completed the Channel slam by taking home the Wimbledon title.