Self-Critical Carlos Alcaraz Still Sees ‘Weakness’ in Himself Despite Winning Many Big Titles

Carlos Alcaraz will be hoping to improve his head-to-head record to 5-0 over his Doha opening-round opponent Arthur Rinderknech.


Self-Critical Carlos Alcaraz Still Sees ‘Weakness’ in Himself Despite Winning Many Big Titles

Carlos Alcaraz (Image via X/Carlos Alcaraz 4K)

In Short
  • Carlos Alcaraz acknowledges his weaknesses despite achieving significant success in tennis.
  • He aims to improve continuously and not become complacent after winning seven Grand Slam titles.
  • Alcaraz is preparing for a challenging match against Arthur Rinderknech in the Qatar Open.

One characteristic of great players is that they don’t really get complacent, and in spite of their huge achievements, they continuously strive for improvement. Carlos Alcaraz is one such player. He is no longer a promising prospect and has already become a legend, believes Alcaraz’s childhood idol, Rafael Nadal.

Alcaraz broke Nadal’s record by becoming the youngest man in the Open Era to reach the Career Grand Slam milestone after winning the Australian Open. He is also the youngest man in the Open Era to reach the seven Grand Slam title tally, surpassing Bjorn Borg, who won them at 23.

The 22-year-old came from a set down to defeat 24-time Major champion Novak Djokovic to win his career’s seventh Grand Slam title. It helped him tie his head-to-head record over the Serb to 5-5.

After a much-needed break, Alcaraz will be back in action in the ongoing Qatar Open on Tuesday (February 17). In the pre-tournament press conference, the Murcia native said he wants to avoid looking ahead to a possible final against Jannik Sinner and instead focus on the task at hand and execute the respective plans.

Obviously, I can see myself that [I have had] a lot of success so far, winning the biggest tournaments in the world. But I just see myself with weaknesses. A lot of players, I know that they’re trying to catch me up in terms of they are studying my game, they study how I play, trying to beat me, trying to challenge me.

Carlos Alcaraz said at the press conference

Last year in the Doha event, Alcaraz lost in the quarterfinals against Jiri Lehecka. Even though it wouldn’t matter much if he doesn’t live up to expectations in Doha, Alcaraz thinks differently. For him, it’s about continuing the process of getting better and better.

I have to be ready for that, and I have to see where my level is, where my tennis is. I have to try to put myself in their minds and think what they could do when playing against me. So that’s what I mean about saying I have to improve some things. Obviously, you cannot be lagging in the level, you just have to keep it going.

Carlos Alcaraz added

Russia’s Andrey Rublev will be entering the tournament as the defending champion. Sinner had skipped it last year due to his three-month doping ban.

Carlos Alcaraz expects a tough challenge from Arthur Rinderknech

Because the Qatar Open is an ATP 500 event, Carlos Alcaraz is well aware of the possibility of meeting tough opponents in the early rounds. He has already said that instead of focusing on the results, he wants to go match by match.

Carlos Alcaraz Monte Carlo Masters 2025
Carlos Alcaraz (Image via Instagram/Carlos Alcaraz)

In his opening round itself, Alcaraz is set to lock horns with an aggressive opponent in the form of Frenchman Arthur Rinderknech, who is quite dangerous on fast surfaces. Alcaraz holds a perfect 4-0 head-to-head record over the World No.30. In the pre-tournament press conference, the Spaniard made his feelings known about facing last year’s Shanghai Masters runner-up.

He’s a very tough opponent. I’ve played him several times, and it’s always difficult to face him. I’m looking forward to playing my first match here this year.

Alcaraz has so far won eight ATP 500 titles, the last of which he clinched at the Japan Open last year by defeating America’s Taylor Fritz. Rinderknech, however, has yet to win a title in his career. He has so far played just two singles finals: lost the 2022 Adelaide International to Thanasi Kokkinakis and the 2025 Shanghai Masters to his cousin Valentin Vacherot.

Also read: WTA Ace Destanee Aiava Says ‘F**k You to Everyone’ in Retirement Announcement Post: “Tennis Was My Toxic Boyfriend”