Emma Navarro says players’ demand for more prize money at Grand Slam events is about “getting treated fairly”
Tennis players outside the Top 200 have often complained about being unable to make a living by playing on the court.

Emma Navarro (via X/Charleston Open)
On Wednesday (April 2), top ATP and WTA players sent out a letter to the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open demanding a more equitable distribution of revenue. These demands were made just a few weeks after the Professional Tennis Players’ Association took tennis governing bodies to court.
French outlet L’Equipe reported that the top players of the sport demanded for increase in benefits for prize money so that players at the lower level, who often struggle due to a lack of of steady sponsorship deals as well as coaching, travels and accommodation, will be able to pay and be treated fairly.
Qinwen Zheng confirmed the reports when asked by reporters at the Charleston Open. American star Emma Navarro was then asked after securing her place in the quarter-finals of the WTA 500 event. She said that she put her name in the letter signed by the top tennis players calling for a significant increase in prize money.
The American added that players have been awarded unfair prize money even though the event’s success rests heavily on them.
I talked a little bit to the other players about it and felt like it was a good idea to sign. I think there have been some sort of unfair pay ratios – I don’t know the correct terminology – but in the past. I think it’s a good cause to come together as players and make sure we’re getting treated fairly.
Emma Navarro said via Charleston Open Press
Tennis players outside the Top 200 have had to suffer more in terms of earnings as they majorly feature in the ATP Challenger and ITF events. The prize money of both bodies is relatively small and not enough to make a living.
French Open responds to Top ATP and WTA players’ demand
Following the letter signed by the top players, the French Open was the first tournament to reply. The Clay Court Grand Slam event organizers revealed through a statement that they have proposed a direct, Open, and constructive meeting at the Madrid Open to discuss the issue with players ahead of the Roland Garros, which is scheduled to begin next month.

We have responded by proposing a direct, open and constructive meeting at the Madrid Open, at Roland-Garros, or at any other suitable time. Over the last five years, the tournament’s prize money has increased by 25%, reaching 53.4 million euros ($58.73 million) in 2024. Over the same period, Roland-Garros has also significantly increased (+50%) its investment in infrastructure and services (hotels, catering, etc.) dedicated to players.
French Open said via a statement to Reuters
Last year, the French Open awarded prize money to the winners of the men’s and women’s singles title $2,567,051, a 4.35 percent increase from 2023. However, the first round of qualifiers was the group that had the highest increase. For playing in qualifying round one, players earned $21,392, a 25 percent increase from 2023.
UTSA responds to player’s demand for an increase in prize money
The United States Tennis Association (USTA), which organizes the US Open, also replied to the signed letter from the players. The tournament revealed through a statement that they welcome Open and direct conversation with the players about what should be done while boasting that it has awarded the largest prize money in tennis history.

This includes offering equal prize money to men and women for more than 50 years and awarding the largest purse in tennis history at the 2024 U.S. Open. As the national governing body of tennis in the U.S., we are also focused on ensuring that we can properly support and fund our mission of growing tennis to inspire healthier people and communities everywhere.
US Open said via a statement
The Australian Open and Wimbledon are yet to reply to the signed letter from Top tennis players. However, it is worth noting that Australian Open champions collected nearly $2.2 million in prize money while players going out in the first round picked up around $83,000.