(Video) Fernando Mendoza Remains Unapologetic About Dropping an F-Bomb at National Championship Trophy Ceremony
Indiana Hoosiers QB and Heisman Trophy winner Fernando Mendoza is known for his carefully constructed media-first speeches and interactions.
Indiana Hoosiers QB Fernando Mendoza (Image via AP Photo, Screengrab via X)
The Indiana Hoosiers danced all the way to their first national championship in college history without dropping a single game. At the center of this historic moment is the Heisman Trophy winner and Internet’s favorite, Fernando Mendoza.
Beyond the Miami-born star’s skills and his expertise on the field, his character and personality have won over the online media. Mendoza has been associated with a down-to-earth energy and a strong spiritual sense of things. Despite his skyrocketing success in the past few months, filling the trophy cabinets and leveling up his sponsorship contracts, he has shown humbleness. And of course, a killer puppy-eyes smile while doing it all.
As Indiana celebrated its historic event, Mendoza let loose a casual f-bomb. Athletes swear, and the heat of the moment celebratory mood makes it a frequent scene. With a half-gone throat and Tom Brady in his vicinity, Mendoza loudly declared his love for the team and ended with a “Let’s f***** go” to the uproaring stadium.
And online media quickly picked it up. So did the reporting panel at the press game conference. After all, it wasn’t very characteristic of his usual bubbly, carefully constructed speeches and media interactions.
In the post-game conference, Mendoza was asked about the incident. He defended his stance and said that the stray from his norm was warranted after the emotional pinnacle he had.
I’d say overall my emotion and it’s the pinnacle peak. All season… sometimes I’ve had these cookie-cutter responses, media-trained responses, on to the next game, on to the next play, and now we did it. At that point I think it was only fitting to open the floodgates, per se, break my stereotype.
Fernando Mendoza said in the post-game press conference
Fernando Mendoza on dropping F Bomb's 🤣😂: "I'd say overall my emotion and it's the pinnacle peak. All season — sometimes I've had these cookie-cutter responses, media-trained responses, on to the next game, on to the next play, and now we did it. At that point I think it was… pic.twitter.com/I4X1xv3o9D
— Fanatics View (@fanaticsview) January 20, 2026
Indiana is celebrating, and a huge chunk of fans loved the casual drop and the uproar. They definitely didn’t mind this uncharacteristic behavior from someone who’s built up as a near-perfect image, which fans have called out as very fake. However, that can’t be said for everyone. Certain fans believe that Mendoza has been a role model for Christianity, and defending the usage of profanities wasn’t ideal.
What’s next for Fernando Mendoza?
In what was likely his last college football game, Fernando Mendoza has scripted history. He completed 16 of 27 passes for 186 yards and a game-winning rushing touchdown against the No. 10 Miami Hurricanes in the National Championship final.

As the collegiate season has concluded, Mendoza is expected to sign up for the upcoming NFL Draft. As it stands, the Las Vegas Raiders hold the first overall selection after the mediocre 3-14 season they had. The Raiders signed Geno Smith from the Seattle Seahawks ahead of the last season. The experiment was quite unsuccessful, and the Raiders badly need a fresh uplift. Mendoza could be their answer.
Although Mendoza’s numbers might be sub-par compared to several No. 1 picks so far, he has proven he can be a long-term starter in a franchise. If anything, his fourth-and-down touchdown run against Miami in a high-pressure situation has shown that he will show up in big games. In a case where the Raiders aren’t convinced about Mendoza, they are very likely to trade down instead of selecting a different candidate at the top.
If so, several franchises would be gunning for him. The Miami Dolphins are a strongly heard name in terms of a trade-up. Mendoza, being an alumnus of Christopher Columbus High School in Miami-Dade County, would fit right in the city. After yet another disappointing season, the Dolphins are aggressively rethinking their roster, and Mendoza would be the answer to their biggest problem, quarterback inconsistency.
Also Read: (In Pictures) Jessica Pegula Shares Cryptic Text on Controversial Brandin Cooks Interception After Buffalo Bills’ Exit