Greg Norman takes social media to state he’s “asked not to attend” QBE Shootout tournament by PGA Tour

QBE Shootout tournament was started by Norman himself way back in 1989 but this time around he won't be attending the same.

Greg Norman
Greg Norman
FirstSportz News

LIV Golf’s CEO Greg Norman is constantly in the news days as he is busy lobbying for the Saudi-backed league at the Capitol and on Wednesday the former PGA star revealed that he has been asked to give this year’s QBE Shootout in Naples a miss by the PGA Tour committee.

The tourney that was started by the former No.1 himself some 33 years ago will have to skip this year’s event because of his loyalty to the controversial LIV GOlf league.

Also read:- “Patrick Reed sued Chamblee”- Paige Spiranac posts funny meme after Tiger Woods ‘secret’ PGA Tour meeting

Greg Norman said he was sad after being asked not to attend the tournament

Greg Norman
Greg Norman

Norman took to his Instagram account to reveal the fact that the PGA Tour has asked him to give QBE Shootout a snub despite being part of it for 33 consecutive years. The tournament will take place in December this year.

“Sadly, after 33 consecutive years of playing in and hosting every Shootout tournament—a co-sanctioned PGA Tour event—since I founded it in 1989, this year I have been asked not to attend,” Norman wrote in an Instagram post.

“In some people’s mind this is too disruptive and evolution is perceived as a bad thing,” Norman wrote. “Change is good. Evolution and innovation of the professional golf product have been needed for decades—just ask the next generation of golf fans.”

But, QBE Shootout tournament director Rob Hartman has the opposite take on Norman’s revelation. Hartman said that it was mutually decided between both the parties that the Australian won’t be part of the upcoming tournament.

“As we got close, ultimately the decision was made that he was going to step back and really let the focus remain on our tremendous charitable partners,” Hartman said. “When he started this event 34 years ago, it was all about the charity then, and it’s all about charity now. Greg just decided that he didn’t want anything to distract from that.”

Earlier this year – LIV Golf’s CEO was also asked not to be a part of the activities surrounding the 150th British Open because of his commitment to the Saudi-backed league.

Also read: “Couldn’t crack the top”- Twitter reacts as Patrick Reed drops from World Ranking

Also read: “You think f**cking Jay Monahan walks and talks to people?” Fans appreciate Greg Norman, point out key differences between PGA Tour and LIV Golf

Do follow us on: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter