Maria Sakkari relates her constant criticism from the ‘people’ with Novak Djokovic’s media image
Maria Sakkari has blasted the media for constantly criticizing Novak Djokovic despite the Serb being in the twilight of his career.

Novak Djokovic and Maria Sakkari (via X)
Former World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has become one of the greatest, if not the greatest, tennis players to ever play the game. As a result of his achievements, he has inspired many fans and current players, including Maria Sakkari.
Like Djokovic for most of his career, Sakkari has also faced intense scrutiny from the media. The Greek player has used the Serbian star as an example of how the media can “manhunt” a player at will.
You know, people are always going to say something. Even if I get back into the top five, they’ll say, ‘Okay, yeah, but she hasn’t won a Grand Slam.’ Or, ‘She’s never made it past the semifinals of a Grand Slam.’ And even if you win a Grand Slam, they’ll say, ‘Yeah, but she hasn’t won a Grand Slam on grass,’ or something like that. You know that because you follow the media all the time. If someone wants to say something, they’ll always do it. For example, there are negative comments about Djokovic. What does that guy have to prove anymore? That’s the world we live in right now. So you have to accept it and move on.
Maria Sakkari said on The Second Serve
Sakkari has the potential to grow as a player but has been struggling with form recently. The same can be said for Novak Djokovic, who has not won an ATP title since claiming the ATP Finals in 2023.
Djokovic’s only title since the year-end championships in Italy was the Olympic gold medal at the Paris Olympics. He was aiming for his 100th ATP title in Miami last week but lost to Jakub Mensik.
What does the future hold for Maria Sakkari?
Greek tennis player Maria Sakkari is facing a big drop in the rankings after a tough loss at the Charleston Open. Her defeat to Qinwen Zheng has raised doubts about her chances of returning to the top 10. If her form doesn’t improve soon, she may fall out of the top 80.

Sakkari did manage a win over Marina Stakusic earlier in the tournament. But she has struggled to defend points from Indian Wells and Miami. This has led to growing concern about her recent performance. Despite this, she says she’s not ready to give up.
Some tennis experts, like those from Christian’s Court on X, have questioned her future at the top. Still, Sakkari is known for her steady game and strong mindset. She is eager to prove people wrong and show she can bounce back.
A shoulder injury kept her off the court at the end of last season. Now, she is working hard to find her rhythm again. With tough matches ahead, Sakkari is focused on fighting back and proving she can still compete at the highest level.
Qinwen Zheng dismantles Maria Sakkari
China’s Qinwen Zheng, the No. 3 seed, had a strong win on Wednesday night at the Credit One Charleston Open. She beat Greece’s Maria Sakkari 6-4, 6-1 in the second round. Zheng, playing in Charleston for the first time since 2022, needed just over 90 minutes to move into the Round of 16.

Sakkari had a 2-1 lead in past matches against Zheng, but all of those were on hard courts. This match was on clay, which suits Zheng’s game better. She won the Olympic gold last year on the clay courts of Roland Garros.
Zheng has now won 12 matches in a row on clay. Before the Olympics, she also defended her title in Palermo. Her strong form on this surface clearly helped her in the match against Sakkari.
Sakkari has struggled over the past year. Her ranking has dropped from No. 7 to No. 64, and she has only six wins this season. She was hoping to beat a top 10 player for the first time in over a year but has now lost eight straight matches against top 10 opponents.