World No.1 Novak Djokovic crashed out of the Monte Carlo Masters in the Round of 16 on Thursday following a shock 6-4, 7-5 defeat by Britain’s Dan Evans. Djokovic, the Monte Carlo champion in 2013 and 2015, was broken five times by the 33rd-ranked Evans and suffered his first loss of the year, having won the Australian Open for the ninth time earlier this year.
Evans also knocked out this month’s Miami Open winner Hubert Hurkacz in the second round. He will face 11th seed David Goffin in the Quarter-Final.
Djokovic seemed very disappointed by his performance in the press conference. “To be honest this has been one of the worst matches from my side I can recall in the last few years,” said Djokovic.
I just felt awful on the court overall: Novak Djokovic
In the post match press conference, Djokovic was visibly upset by his outing on the court. He even said that it was one of his worst performance in recent times.
“I don’t want to take anything away from his win, but from my side, I just felt awful on the the court overall. Just nothing worked. It’s one of those days.”
“From my side, I definitely should have done better. As I said, definitely that’s been one of the worst performances I can remember in many years. It was obviously very, very windy, tough to play in these kinds of conditions against a guy like Evans who makes you move,” he added.
“Obviously right now, as I walk off the court, I’m disappointed with the way I played, the way I felt on the court. But it’s a long clay season. Still plenty of tournaments, plenty of room to improve. Obviously I have to work, hopefully get a better performance next week in Belgrade.”
Djokovic will now play on his home soil at Belgrade next week at the ATP 250 Serbia Open.