Novak Djokovic comes down hard on ATP over ball quality issue as the players continue to protest
Earlier, Stan Wawrinka complained about the different balls used on the tour.

Novak Djokovic (Image via : Florin Baltatoiu)
24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic has joined the ever-increasing list of tennis players to complain about the quality of balls used on the tour. This non-exhaustive list includes Carlos Alcaraz, Marketa Vondrousova, Daniil Medvedev and Stan Wawrinka. The World No.1 spoke about the issue at the pre-tournament press conference at Paris Masters. Endorsing Wawrinka’s point, Djokovic said that inconsistency in the type of balls used is the real issue.
Actually, Korda, the player that I practiced with today, told me that this is fifth tournament now in a row that he's been playing with different ballsDjokovic told the press

The Serb further added that players want consistency in balls selection so that injuries can be prevented. Djokovic further acknowledged that tennis authorities have taken cognizance of the issue and that there’s an “understanding” on the part of the President and CEO of ATP.
As I understood, there is going to be some board meetings happening soon where they will discuss the different options and things they could do. But I think overall, it's just, it would be nice for players that there is a consistency. So, for example, if you have a clay court swing prior to Roland Garros, that you play with the same ball. As well as other surfaces and other swings.
For the uninitiated, 3-time Grand Slam singles champion had raised the same issue a few days back. Taking to social media site ‘X’, Wawrinka shared photos of the 4 different types of balls used in the last few tournaments he played. The Swiss captioned the post, “Can’t believe in 2023 it’s still happening.”
Earlier this month, at the China Open, Daniil Medvedev complained about the slow conditions giving him clay court feels.
With these balls, it’s kind of like playing on clay. The only big difference is the bounce, which is not like on clay, so it’s still different, but it’s very slow.Medvedev told reporters after beating Ugo Humbert
Novak Djokovic set to make his much-awaited return to the tour at Paris Masters
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic will make his much-awaited return to the tour at the Paris Masters. Djokovic recently took part in the Ryder Cup celebrity all-star match. Speaking to SkySports on the sidelines of the competition, the Serb discussed his plans for the rest of the year. He confirmed his participation in the Paris Masters, beginning October 30.

The 36-year-old has won the tournament a record six times. In the last edition of the tournament, in 2022, he was defeated by the Norwegian Holger Rune in a close 3-setter. Interestingly, Djokovic will begin his campaign in the doubles draw as he partners Serbian counterpart Miomir Kecmanovic. The pair will face off in the round of 32 clash against Wawrinka and Jannik Sinner. The 1st seed will begin his singles campaign on Tuesday, having received a first-round bye.
In case you missed it :
- Guadalajara Open fulfills Victoria Azarenka’s long wish with a special gift for the Belarusian
- “The truth comes out,” Serena Williams’ old video dissing Maria Sharapova over her doping ban resurfaces following Simona Halep’s 4-year suspension
- Follow FirstSportz on WhatsApp Channel