India has announced its 26-member athletics team to represent the country at the upcoming Tokyo Olympics, starting from 23rd July. The deadline for the Olympic qualification was 29th June 2021.
Athletics has never been the country’s strong suit in the Olympics. However, the national athletes this year have given some incredible performances in the Olympic Qualifier events. Several athletes qualified by meeting the qualifying standard while some booked their Tokyo berth through their World rankings.
A couple of athletes who were expected to qualify like Hima Das, Jinson Johnson, Arpinder Singh, Sudha Singh among others will miss out on the Olympics after either failing to reach the qualifying mark or suffering from injuries crushing their aspirations this year.
India’s 26-member athletics team for Tokyo Olympics
India’s 26-member athletics team for Tokyo Olympics is as follows:
- 3000m steeplechase: Avinash Sable
- Shotput: Tajinderpal Singh Toor
- 400m hurdles: MP Jabir
- Long Jump: M Sreeshankar
- Javelin Throw: Neeraj Chopra and Shivpal Singh
- 20km Racewalking: KT Irfan, Sandeep Kumar and Rahul Rohilla
- 50km Racewalking: Gurpreet Singh
- 4x400m relay: Amoj Jacob, Arokia Rajiv, Muhammed Anas Yahiya, Noah Nirmal Tom, Pandi
- 100m and 200m: Dutee Chand
- Discus Throw: Kamalpreet Kaur and Seema Punia
- Javelin Throw: Annu Rani
- 20km Racewalking: Bhawna Jat and Priyanka Goswami
4x400m relay: Sarthak Bhambri (M), Alex Antony (M), Revathi Veeramani (M), Subha Venkatesan (M) and Dhanlakshmi Sekhar (M)