The history of Indian cricket predominantly consisted of many spinners in the bowling attack for a really long time. However, the ‘Asian Giants’ has produced some of the top fast bowlers as well.
From Kapil Dev to Zaheer Khan, and currently Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Shami, all have taken a lot of Test wickets, especially in overseas conditions. Dev, who holds the record of claiming the maximum wickets as an Indian pace bowler, has the best bowling figures for India in Pakistan and Australia as well.
On the other hand, Zaheer recorded the best figures in Bangladesh while Ishant Sharma, who recently entered the 300 wickets club, achieved great milestones in England, New Zealand, and Sri Lanka. Irfan Pathan, who has been one of the finest Indian all-rounders, bowled a great spell of 7/59 in Zimbabwe back in 2005.
Young all-rounder Shardul Thakur became the recent entrant in this elite club with his brilliant spell of 7/61 against South Africa in their home conditions. He surpassed Ravi Ashwin to have the best bowling figures by any Indian bowler against the Proteas.
Now, let’s look at the best bowling figures in each country by Indian pacers:
- India: Kapil Dev (9/83) in 1983 (vs WI)
- Pakistan: Kapil Dev (8/85) in 1983
- Australia: Kapil Dev (8/106) in 1985
- Zimbabwe: Irfan Pathan (7/59) in 2005
- South Africa: Shardul Thakur (7/61) in 2022
- England: Ishant Sharma (7/74) in 2014
- Bangladesh: Zaheer Khan (7/87) in 2010
- West Indies: Jasprit Bumrah (6/27) in 2019
- New Zealand: Ishant Sharma (6/51) in 2014
- Sri Lanka: Ishant Sharma (5/54) in 2015
Also Read | 5 Indian players who coached foreign teams