Carlos Sainz REVEALS he could’ve ‘died’ had he not had ’emergency appendicitis operation’ during Saudi Arabian GP weekend

Carlos Sainz's place was taken by Oliver Bearman at Ferrari in the Jeddah event.


Carlos Sainz REVEALS he could’ve ‘died’ had he not had ’emergency appendicitis operation’ during Saudi Arabian GP weekend

Carlos Sainz (via IMAGO)

The 2024 F1 season is currently at a halt and Ferrari driver, Carlos Sainz has taken this opportunity to reveal some fascinating insights about his Saudi Arabian GP weekend. He had an emergency appendicitis operation during the weekend which was a kind of a make-or-break situation for him.

Since hitting the tarmac at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit, Carlos Sainz was not 100 percent and while he did participate in Friday running, he was ruled out after that. Ferrari had no option but to rope in young sensation, Oliver Bearman, who was competing in F2 during the same weekend.

YouTube video

While Sainz had a successful surgery in Jeddah, he has revealed the tough conversation he had with the doctors ahead of the surgery.

They told me I had appendicitis, I was like ‘fu*k, I need surgery right?’ and they said I needed to have an emergency operation. They asked how long I had been like this and I told them ‘two days’, so they opened their eyes and they were like ‘are you crazy? if it bursts you can die’(…) so I started doing calculations and I told them ‘ok, what if you inject me something and I come get the surgery tomorrow after the race’ and they were like ‘no, you’re at risk of having serious complications’ so I was like ‘oh okay, I’ll have the surgery.
Carlos Sainz via NudeProject Podcast

Looking at the reaction of the three-time Grand Prix winner, it is quite clear the kind of danger the 29-year-old was in during the Saudi Arabian GP weekend. He was at first a bit dejected to be missing out on the Jeddah race, but after understanding the seriousness of the situation, he decided to have the surgery.

Williams F1 likely destination for the coming years for Carlos Sainz

The ongoing campaign has 15 Grand Prix remaining on the calendar and Carlos Sainz is yet to secure his future for 2025. He has been linked with various teams since the start of the season but as things stand, only two options are remaining for the Spaniard.

Carlos Sainz and James Vowles
Carlos Sainz and James Vowles (via IMAGO)

Sainz in all likelihood is going to join either Kick Sauber (Audi) or Williams F1. The latter has reportedly even offered a four-year deal.

Williams has proposed an interesting contract of four years. He can go away, no matter where, and without ifs and buts, and I think that’s the offer. At the moment, I have a feeling that he is more likely to go to Williams than to Audi.
Renowned journalist Michael Schmidst said on the Auto Motor Und’s show

The 2025 driver market has turned out to be extremely volatile. In the last few weeks, quite a few drivers have secured their future and it is high time for Carlos Sainz to do the same.

He is regarded as a top-quality driver on the grid and Williams boss, James Vowles on multiple occasions made it known that he really wants Sainz on his team. The upcoming week could shed a clearer light on where Sainz will ultimately end up for the 2025 F1 season.

In case you missed it: