Pierre Gasly has been with AlphaTauri since the halfway point of the 2019 season, back when they were called Toro Rosso, following a 12-race stint with Red Bull. Despite improving since his comeback to the squad, Gasly’s dreams of returning to Red Bull were shattered when Sergio Perez signed a new two-year contract to stay with the company.
Despite calling Perez’s contract extension “reasonable,” Gasly stated that he intends to speak with Dr. Helmut Marko, Red Bull’s motorsport advisor, about his future, fueling rumors that he may seek pastures new next season. There had been a lot of speculations and rumors flying around about Gasly’s future in one of the top teams for the 2023 season.
But, speaking ahead of Saturday’s race in Montreal, Franz Tost, former F1 driver and current team principal of Scuderia AlphaTauri said it was “100% confirmed” that the winner of the 2020 Italian Grand Prix would be back behind the wheel of an AlphaTauri the following season.
“He [Gasly] will be a driver of us, of Scuderia AlphaTauri in 2023,” said Tost, as quoted by F1. “It is 100% confirmed… He has a valid contract, there’s nothing to say more.”
“Pierre Gasly has improved a lot,” states the principal
Tost stated that despite having a lot of reliability issues at the start of the season, the Frenchman has improved a lot, and he is happy to see that; “Pierre has also improved a lot; I must say he is showing a fantastic performance,” said Tost. “Unfortunately, at the beginning of the season we had a lot of reliability issues, for example in Bahrain, when the battery caught fire, and there were some other reliability issues. It was not his fault, it was coming from the team.
As we move further into the Canadian Grand Prix, Pierre Gasly stands 10th in the championship with 16 points in his hands.