Former Spanish star discusses the transformation of the men’s circuit from the ‘Big 3’ era to Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz

Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz are the current holders of all the four Grand Slam titles and the ATP Finals in men's tennis.


Former Spanish star discusses the transformation of the men’s circuit from the ‘Big 3’ era to Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz

Roger Federer Rafael Nadal Novak Djokovic Jannik Sinner Carlos Alcaraz (via X)

Spanish Davis Cup captain Feliciano Lopez has discussed the evolution of men’s tennis from the era of the Big 3 (Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic) to the rise of Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner. The former Spanish player claims that the Big 3 era was unmatched, and comparing it to Sinner and Alcaraz may portray the current superstars in a negative light.

Djokovic is the only member of the Big 3 still competing. Federer retired in 2022, while Nadal left the sport last year after Spain’s Davis Cup campaign.

YouTube video

If we compare the eras… The last one was the best in the history of tennis, with three, almost four, authentic phenomena who coincided, and who would have dominated their generation in any other era. If we compare the two, of course, it won’t be very positive. But we have Sinner and Carlos, who dominate world tennis, and their rivalry will even intensify over time, because both will improve, and that’s what we have to focus on. Of course, without forgetting to value all the other players besides Sinner and Alcaraz, who are also very good. It’s a blessing for tennis at a time when the Big 3 players are leaving, when only Djokovic remains, that these two phenomena appear.

Feliciano Lopez said on EFE

Alcaraz and Sinner are considered the leading figures of the new era in tennis. Together, they have won seven Grand Slam titles, one ATP Finals title, and nine Masters 1000 titles in their careers so far. Sinner is the current World No. 1, holding the top spot for 42 weeks since rising to No. 1 in June last year. Alcaraz became the youngest World No. 1 in history at age 19 after winning the US Open in 2022.

The rise of Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner

Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner are rising stars in tennis. Many compare them to legends like Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Fans and experts debate if they can achieve the same greatness. Their current impact is measured against the established icons of the sport.

Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner
Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner (Images via X)

Richard Gasquet, a retiring player, spoke about the importance of long-term success. He praised Alcaraz’s talent but said that his aura is not yet like Federer’s. He explained that becoming a global sports icon takes more than just skill. Other factors, like personality and presence, also matter.

Sinner has drawn comparisons to Novak Djokovic. Experts believe he has the potential to dominate major tournaments. To reach the status of Federer and Nadal, both players must be consistent. Their charisma on and off the court will also play a big role.

Alcaraz aims to build his legacy after a French Open win. Sinner hopes to bounce back after last year’s semi-final loss. They face pressure to perform and create a lasting image. Time will tell if they can join the greatest names in tennis history.

Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic headline Monte Carlo

The first clay-court ATP Masters 1000 event of 2025 will be held in Monte Carlo. The tournament will take place from April 6-13. This will be the 118th edition of the historic event. Many top players are set to compete.

Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz
Novak Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz (Image via ATP/X)

Stefanos Tsitsipas is the defending champion. He won his third Monte Carlo title in 2024 by beating Casper Ruud in the final. World No. 1 Jannik Sinner will not play due to a doping ban, which ends on May 4. Richard Gasquet has received a wildcard for his final appearance before retiring at the French Open. The other three wildcard entries have not been announced yet.

Tommy Paul, ranked No. 13, has decided to skip the event. Miami Open winner Jakub Mensik was supposed to play in the qualifiers but has withdrawn. Other players who pulled out of qualifying include Zhizhen Zhang, Roman Safiullin, and Yoshihito Nishioka.

Three former champions will compete: Novak Djokovic (2013, 2015), Tsitsipas (2021, 2022, 2024), and Andrey Rublev (2023). Stan Wawrinka (2014) and Fabio Fognini (2019) are also past winners but need a wildcard to enter, as their rankings are too low.