Formula One scraps Russian GP from 2022 calendar, claims it is ‘impossible’ to hold the event under current circumstances

F1
The pre-season testing for the 2022 season has been quite eventful. The three-day event, which only feels like its beginning, is coming to an end in a few hours. It felt really short, and one reason for that was the rise in global tension following an attack on Ukraine by Russia on 24 February 2022.
Formula One has now issued a statement stating that it is ‘impossible’ to host the Russian GP in current circumstances and has thus dropped it from the 2022 calendar. Yesterday the FIA spokesperson commented on the situation. They said, “Formula One is closely watching the very fluid developments like many others and at this time has no further comment on the race scheduled for September,” as quoted by the Express.
The wordings of the statement issued indicates the decision is taken more from the safety point of view and doesn’t come as a condemnation for Russia’s actions. However, it does sympathize with the tragedy in Ukraine.
The statement reads: “The FIA Formula 1 World Championship visits countries all over the world with a positive vision to unite people, bringing nations together.
We are watching the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation.
On Thursday evening Formula 1, the FIA, and the teams discussed the position of our sport, and the conclusion is, including the view of all relevant stakeholders, that it is impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances.”
Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel had already taken a stance against Russian GP

The Aston Martin F1 team driver, Sebastian Vettel, took a hard stance and announced that he would not race in Russia. The four-time world champion said, “For myself, my own opinion is I should not go, I will not go. I think it’s wrong to race in that country. I’m sorry for the people, innocent people who are losing their lives, getting killed for stupid reasons.”
The current F1 world champion Max Verstappen also took a similar stance in a press interaction in Barcelona. Verstappen said, “When a country is at war, it is not right to race there.”
It remains to be seen how the other drivers view the situation and how teams manage their sponsorships, especially the Haas F1 team. The announcement for the replacement race will be much awaited by the fans.
ALSO READ: “It is not too pleasant at all,” George Russell flags porpoising as a safety concern