“I was saddened…,” Jannik Sinner’s ex-fitness trainer Umberto Ferrara finally breaks silence on doping scandal

Jannik Sinner was contaminated by a spray that his former fitness trainer Umberto Ferrara had purchased from Italy.


“I was saddened…,” Jannik Sinner’s ex-fitness trainer Umberto Ferrara finally breaks silence on doping scandal

Jannik Sinner, Umberto Ferrara (Image via X/Tennis Channel, Punto de Break)

Jannik Sinner landed in hot water when he tested positive for the banned anabolic steroid clostebol in March last year. He got contaminated during physiotherapy therapy sessions as his former physio Giacomo Naldi was using a contaminated spray to heal a cut on his finger. That spray was bought from Italy by Sinner’s former fitness trainer Umberto Ferrara.

International Anti-Doping Agency’s (ITIA) announcement of Sinner’s case in August last year sparked massive controversy, and he eventually parted ways with both Ferrara and Naldi. Ferrara has finally broken his silence on it saying that due to the scandal, he has suffered serious “personal and professional damage.” The fitness coach knew about the possibility of the end of the partnership.

YouTube video

He has shown extraordinary maturity, backed by the conviction that his arguments were completely true. His work ethic and dedication are very special, which constantly drives his improvement. I was very saddened by the way our professional relationship ended; it has been a pleasure working with him.

Umberto Ferrara told La Gazzetta dello Sport

Sinner was provisionally suspended twice, during which he had to give details of the source of contamination. As he bore no fault or negligence in ITIA’s verdict, Sinner avoided a ban and despite being surrounded by harsh criticism, he was successful in lifting his first US Open title and later defended his Australian Open crown.

Umberto Ferrara had told Giacomo Naldi about the contaminated spray

Umberto Ferrara, who joined Matteo Berrettini‘s team after parting ways with Jannik Sinner, knew that the spray was contaminated. Despite knowing, he has been using it for years as a support drug for a chronic disease, and it was prescribed by a specialist. He had always kept the spray with utmost caution and had warned Giacomo Naldi the same.

Jannik Sinner
Jannik Sinner (Image via X/The Tennis Podcast)

I didn’t give anything to Naldi, I suggested using it because he had a cut on his finger that wouldn’t heal and made his job difficult. I was very clear in communicating to Naldi the nature of the product and the need for it not to come into contact with Jannik for any reason. In fact, I allowed its use only inside my personal bathroom. Naldi didn’t deny having been informed but said he didn’t remember.

Umberto Ferrara told La Gazzetta dello Sport

Sinner faced the consequences of the scandal. Despite ITIA’s ruling, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) intervened and demanded a ban of between one and two years on Sinner.

They approached the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and a hearing was initially scheduled this month. After the Australian Open, the WADA surprisingly withdrew the appeal and reached a settlement agreement with the three-time Grand Slam champion and chose to ban him for just three months.

Jannik Sinner will be able to play after May 4

Jannik Sinner is banned till May 4 and could participate in the Italian Open, which is scheduled to start on May 7. Sinner then will play the Hamburg Open just before the French Open, where he has not yet progressed to the final.

Jannik Sinner
Jannik Sinner (Image via X/The Tennis Letter)

The 23-year-old has participated in just one tournament this season. He defended the Australian Open by beating Alexander Zverev in straight sets and later chose not to defend the Rotterdam Open. In spite of playing just one tournament, Sinner continues to sit on top of the rankings table with 10,330 points.

Sinner was the most successful player on the ATP tour last season, having won eight official titles, including his career’s first two Grand Slam trophies (the Australian Open and the US Open). He ended the season with a 73-6 win-loss record and also won the Davis Cup with Italy.