“It took me a while to find myself,” Jannik Sinner opens up about dealing with the three-month suspension
Jannik Sinner's suspension is set to end on May 4, which will make him eligible to play the Italian Open, which begins on May 9.

Jannik Sinner (Image via X/The Tennis Podcast)
Jannik Sinner is serving a three-month suspension after settling his longstanding doping case with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in February. The World No.1 has been away from the media for a while, but recently sat down for his first interview and opened up about how he has been dealing with the suspension.
The Italian twice tested positive for the banned steroid clostebol in March 2024, but it was made public by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) last August. The agency revealed that Sinner defended that the substance had inadvertently entered his system after his former physiotherapist had massaged him.
The ITIA accepted the defense, and Sinner was set free to continue playing. However, WADA appealed the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), seeking at least a year’s suspension for the Italian. But in February the Sinner’s lawyers reached an agreement with the agency for the three-time Grand Slam champion to serve a three-month suspension.
The ban began on February 9 and is going to end on May 4. In an interview, Sinner revealed that it took him a while to settle with the suspension. The 23-year-old added that he still has to digest the whole issue.
The suspension? I felt very comfortable. The decision to settle was very quick even though I didn’t agree too much. In the end, we chose the lesser evil even though it was unfair, but there could have been a greater injustice, so that’s how it was. After the decision, it took me a while to find myself again. Also because things happened outside this topic that were not easy. I still have to “digest” a little, but I am looking forward to returning to Rome. But it won’t be easy because there will be so much attention.
Jannik Sinner said via Sky Sports
𝐋𝐚 𝐬𝐨𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐞 𝐥'𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐧 𝐥𝐚 𝐖𝐀𝐃𝐀: 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐚 𝐒𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫 🗣
— skysport (@SkySport) April 5, 2025
📌 L’intervista esclusiva a Jannik Sinner: da oggi, sabato 5 aprile, alle 12.45 su Sky Sport24, in streaming su NOW e disponibile su Sky Sport Insider #SkySport #SkyTennis #Sinner pic.twitter.com/kK4JZEUOM4
Sinner is set to make his return to the ATP Tour at the Italian Open in Rome. The World No.1 has been training on clay court to mark his return with the level of display he showed before he was suspended in February.
Jannik Sinner says he has learnt important lesson since being suspended from tour
Jannik Sinner has had to deal with criticism from current and former players about being treated special because of his ranking position. WADA and the ITIA have come out to defend their position on the case, but it has yet to be accepted by many fans and players. During the aforementioned interview, Sinner revealed that he had learned an important lesson from the suspension.

I learned a lot of things, but I knew before that tennis is not the most important thing. Outside there are people who care so much, family will always come first, friends are crucial. But it’s mostly good to have people around you that you can trust. I’ve learned that better in the last few months.
Jannik Sinner said
Sinner will look forward to making a statement return to shut his critics. Despite the criticism, Sinner has also enjoyed support from current and former tennis players, including fans. He will use that as a confidence boost when he marks his return at the Italian Open, which begins on May 7.
Jannik Sinner says he has known better about himself
Last year, after Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek tested positive for clostebol and trimetazidine, respectively, players ga e became very careful about what enters into their system. For Sinner, the three-month suspension has been a time of reflection, and he has come to know himself better.

I was very fragile after what occurred, because many things happened including reactions from me that I did not expect. But in life you learn, year after year I know myself better, it was really difficult at times but the people close to me gave me the strength to understand and move on.
Jannik Sinner said
Sinner, who is going to mark his return on clay doesn’t have a good on the surface. The last time he won clay was at the Croatia Open in 2022. Last year, he failed to reach a final on the surface.