It has been six game weeks into the Premier League and it has had its own hits and misses. Despite being the season most affected by the CoVid-19 pandemic, signings and transfer fees have been as hectic as ever, if not more!
Numerous sensational talents have made their way to the Premier League and some have left. Chelsea made the most signings while Liverpool and Arsenal made limited, but impactful signings. The Manchester teams had a relatively quiet transfer period, while newly promoted Leeds signed loads of players!
Here is the list of notable signings made by the top Premier League teams. Later we’ll rank the top five most impactful signings.
- Liverpool: Liverpool scared its fans as they made just one signing for almost two whole months and left it late. Konstantinos Tsimikas was signed to give Andy Robertson competition and rest in the domestic competitions. His signings mean that veteran midfielder James Milner would only play in his preferred position. Just before the closing of the transfer period, Liverpool completed the purchases of highly talented midfielder Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich. The very next day, prolific winger Diogo Jota was signed from Wolves. Needless to say, Liverpool fans ripped riot all over Twitter after reputed journalists Paul Joyce, James Pearce, Fabrizio Romano and Christian Falk all tweeted at the same time about the news!
- Chelsea: Chelsea on the other hand had been giving its fans exciting news upon exciting news as they went on a signing spree. Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Kai Havertz, Thiago Silva, Malang Sarr and Ben Chilwell arrived first and strengthened almost all of its areas. But the most prolific signing for Chelsea would arguably be Edouard Mendy, who was signed to replace their most problematic player- Kepa Arrizabalaga. Chelsea looks a transformed team with the arrival of him.
- Arsenal: Arsenal signed Willian, Gabriel Malaghaes, William Saliba, Pablo Mari, Runar Alex Gunarsson, Cedric Soares and marquee signing Thomas Partey. Dani Ceballos returned for another spell here. Captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang signed a new contract and pledged his future to Arsenal. Arsenal is still the same Arsenal despite the numerous signings they have made but they hope to turn around their fortunes with the arrival of Thomas Partey.
- Everton: Everton literally went and bought a new midfield this season! Abdoulaye Doucoure arrived from Watford and Allan left Napoli to join Carlo Ancelloti. However Everton shocked the whole of England when they announced the signing of James Rodriguez from Real Madrid. Rodriguez fell out of favour with Zinedine Zidane and Carlo Ancelotti convinced him to come and revive his career here in Everton. Lo behold! He has made major impact and has transformed into one of the most influential players in Everton. They also signed Rob Olsen from Roma in a season long loan. Ben Godfrey joined from Norwich.
- Tottenham: Tottenham’s transfer period went under the radar as they went about and made quite a few familiar signings. Sergio Reguilon, Carlos Vinicius, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Oliver Skipp, Matt Doherty, Joe Rodon, Joe Hart and Kyle Walker-Peters arrived. But their most surprising signing would be the return of Gareth Bale for a season long loan from Real Madrid. Another outcast, Bale has a golden opportunity to revive his career by playing football constantly.
Ranking the most impactful signings:
5) Diogo Jota: Diogo Jota arrived from Wolves to Liverpool for a fee near 45 million. He’s a left wing forward who is a carbon copy of Sadio Mane’s playstyle. In the time he has played for Liverpool, he showed the potential he has and what he can achieve under the guidance of Jurgen Klopp. One doesn’t need to be reminded how Klopp turned Trent Alexander-Arnold, Andy Robertson, Fabinho, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah into superstars and Diogo Jota is following right in their steps. He scored on his debut against Arsenal and is destined to achieve greatness
4) Thomas Partey: Thomas Partey arrived from Atletico Madrid to Arsenal and is one of the best signings made by Arsenal in recent years. He is a powerhouse who is a literal rock in the middle of Arsenal’s team. Simeone was very reluctant to part with him and that says how influential he is as a player. Partey will add the required strength to Arsenal’s defence and ease their fragility. His passing range and strength is prolific and must be observed at all time.
3) Thiago Alcantara: Thiago arrived from Bayern Munich just after they won their 6th Champions League. Seeking a new challenge, Thiago was close to re-joining Barcelona, when Jurgen Klopp came calling and convinced him to sign for Liverpool. Liverpool’s midfield was its weakpoint as it was reliant on its full backs and front three to score their goals. Teams that employed a low block was difficult for Liverpool to play against and they needed a versatile midfielder. Enter Thiago, who broke the passing record for 45 minutes against Chelsea and was imperious against Everton. His passing range is astounding and the team itself is left in awe when he plays. His pass to Sadio Mane which split Everton’s defence is one to behold as it showcased his stellar vision. Klopp is one satisfied man now that he has plugged the most important weakness of his team!
2) James Rodriguez: He had a sensational campaign in the 2014 World Cup and Real Madrid pounced immediately and signed him. He had a stellar debut season for Real Madrid, but slowly fell in the pecking order when Zinedine Zidane arrived as manager. Carlo Ancelloti gave him a chance to revive his career at Everton and Rodriguez took the opportunity with both hands. He has become Everton’s most important player and his partnership with Richarlison and Dominic Calvert-Lewin is the key to Everton’s success.
1) Edouard Mendy: The most recent addition to Chelsea, his importance cannot be measured in monetary value. Kepa Arrizabalaga was the weak point in Chelsea and made the team fail. Mendy’s arrival has seemed to change the fortunes of Chelsea and he has a huge task to revive the defence’s strength and lead the line. His arrival is very much welcomed and is expected to transform Chelsea into genuine contenders for the title