Lando Norris Blames ‘Understeer’ Choking at the Critical Moment in Qatar GP Qualifying
Lando Norris asserted that his understeer in the final lap of Q3 Qualifying cost him the pole position at the Qatar GP.
Lando Norris (via F1)
🔍 Explore this post with:
Lando Norris couldn’t quite best his Aussie counterpart, Oscar Piastri, at the Sprint sessions of the Qatar GP. Norris started the Sprint race from P3 and finished in the same position, while Piastri brought home the Sprint win. Moreover, the Briton choked during crucial stages of the Qualifying session and couldn’t achieve the pole position against the 24-year-old.
Now, Lando Norris opened up on the reasons behind his failed shot at the Qatar GP pole position against Oscar Piastri. At the beginning of the Q3 session, Norris had lodged a great qualifying lap. Though it wasn’t enough to keep him in the lead. Right after the Briton’s lap, Piastri took the pole position, and no other driver was able to beat that score.
Lando Norris had to go in the pits early in the Q3 session and couldn’t quite give it his all in the final lap. The Briton allegedly suffered from understeering on a turn that ultimately caused him to not have a realistic shot at the pole. Norris recalled the exact moment and claimed that he had to abort the lap and his attempt, else he would have gone off and maybe hit the barriers.
Still, Lando Norris accepted that he had nothing to complain about during his outing in the Qualifying session. McLaren provided both drivers with great cars, and they both had an equal shot at the P1 start. Still, all is not lost for the 26-year-old as he will start the race from the front row with Max Verstappen breathing down their neck in P3.
Yeah, I don’t know, I had some understeer and I had to abort or I would have gone off…. Nothing to complain about, just didn’t do the lap.
Lando Norris said in a post-quali interview.
Lando Norris: Yeah, I don't know, I had some understeer and I had to abort or I would have gone off…. Nothing to complain about, just didn't do the lap.
— Junaid #JB17 (@JunaidSamodien_) November 29, 2025
Max Verstappen expects a ‘tough’ Qatar GP against McLaren in front row
Max Verstappen will definitely be the driver to watch at the Qatar GP as he races against both McLarens right in front of him. The Dutchman hasn’t dominated the weekend so far and has performed decently. Verstappen’s challenger did not have enough pace to best the McLarens for a front-row start, let alone a pole position. Now, the 28-year-old makes a realistic admission about his race pace, especially against the Papaya squad.

Max Verstappen asserted that the Qualifying session was a bit better than what he experienced in the Sprint race and Sprint Qualifying session. Despite his being quite off the McLaren’s pace, his performance was decent enough. Verstappen continued that starting on the second row in Qatar would create great opportunities for him to commit to a divebomb in Turn 1. Still, he expects a tough time on Sunday as Piastri and Norris are not going to let the 28-year-old go by easily.
This Qualifying was a little bit better, even if we are still quite far off. At least we are P3, starting on the second row – it creates better opportunities. Realistically it is a bit tough. This weekend has not been what I wanted it to be so far.
Max Verstappen said in a post-quali interview.
Max Verstappen: "This Qualifying was a little bit better, even if we are still quite far off. At least we are P3, starting on the second row – it creates better opportunities. Realistically it is a bit tough. This weekend has not been what I wanted it to be so far.
— Junaid #JB17 (@JunaidSamodien_) November 29, 2025
The 2025 season has been extremely exciting and nail-biting up until this moment. Max Verstappen has joined the title battle late, but he can never be counted out until it’s mathematically over for him. Thankfully, Oscar Piastri is starting the race from P1 despite being on par with Verstappen’s points. The Aussie just has to finish ahead of the Dutchman to keep his championship hopes alive.
Read More: Fernando Alonso Gives “Logical Step” Judgment of Aston Martin’s New Adrian Newey Move