Fernando Alonso asks FIA to make major rule change regarding qualifying 

Fernando Alonso called the F1 qualifying session the "worst session" currently.


Fernando Alonso asks FIA to make major rule change regarding qualifying 

Fernando Alonso (via IMAGO)

The qualifying sessions in F1 have undergone multiple changes recently, with the introduction of many regulations to assist in a seamless session. F1 has brought in many rules to try and improve the quality of the Saturday sessions.

The rules include the ban on overtaking in the pitlane and the lap time delta rule introduced some months ago. 32x race winner Fernando Alonso feels that this format with all its regulations is obsolete, and requires major reworking. The Spaniard called qualifying the “worst session” of a Grand Prix weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

This session used to be the best session of the weekend where the cars come to life. You drive these cars so fast and now it is the worst session of the weekend . For the teams, for the drivers because of traffic management and because of the limits of the track.

Fernando Alonso said, as reported by soymotor.com

F1 in 2023 did see some great qualifying action, though, with the battle for pole position often being a close shootout. One-lap pace has been one of the only features of F1 racing where Red Bull did not dominate nearly undefeated this year.

Fernando Alonso is proud of their 2023 performance

Fernando Alonso has a reputation for making unwise career decisions, usually ending up in a car that does not compete at the top level of the sport. Alonso was victim to this multiple times, most notably with McLaren-Honda, a substandard car that could barely score points in its time in F1.

Fernando Alonso on the podium at Zandvoort
Fernando Alonso on the podium at Zandvoort (via IMAGO)

However, the 2023 switch to Aston Martin for Alonso was the opposite. An underwhelming vehicle in 2022, the AMR23 had a beautiful season, finishing on the podium with Fernando Alonso multiple times. Alonso was proud of his season with the team, claiming it had been his best since his 2012 title charge.

ADVERTISEMENT
I’m really pleased with the way I’ve driven all season – I think this has been my best, most consistent season of driving since 2012. I think I got the maximum from the car all season.
Fernando Alonso said, from formula1.com

Alonso has shown no signs of retirement despite his career spanning two decades. The 42-year-old has shown wonderful prowess with Aston Martin and will be looking to score his 33rd win in Formula One. 

In case you missed it:

Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!