Fernando Alonso claims long F1 calendars ‘deplete his battery’ and could force him into retirement
Fernando Alonso finished the 2023 F1 season in fourth place in the Drivers Championship.
Fernando Alonso and George Russell (Via IMAGO)
Fernando Alonso, at 42 years of age, is still going strong as a role model at the pinnacle of motor racing. The recently concluded 2023 F1 season was very fruitful for him but with sport currently at a standstill, he has admitted that long F1 calendars could force him into an early retirement.
Fernando Alonso made his F1 debut way back in 2001 at the Australian GP and since then, has been a part of the sport on an off-and-on basis. However, since returning to the sport in 2021, he has been a regular and has proved why he deserves to continue in the sport for quite a few years to come.
While Alonso’s confidence in his abilities is at an all-time high, he has made it known that long F1 calendars and the infamous F1 triple headers could force him to retire. He said, as reported by Soymotor;
It could be because of the calendar. With a demanding schedule and things like that, I think one day I'm going to feel that it's time.
The Spaniard feels that long race calendars ‘deplete his battery’, and thus, thinks that they could trigger him into retirement somewhere down the line. He currently has a multi-year deal at Aston Martin and Mike Krack and Co. are immensely pleased with what he has done so far for them.
Fernando Alonso wants to win a third F1 world championship
While Fernando Alonso has done a terrific 2023 F1 season which saw him finish fourth in the Drivers Championship, one of his main reasons for continuing in the sport is to have at least one more crack at the coveted F1 world championship. Alonso strongly feels that he has got one title run left in him.
Aston Martin came close to providing Alonso with a potent car this year but because of a plethora of reasons, their early charge ran out of steam. 2024 would present another opportunity, a fresh start, where Alonso could look to hunt down Max Verstappen in the world title bout.
2023 ✅🥂 https://t.co/eoYsSdAvp3— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) November 26, 2023
However, to do that, Mike Krack would have to rally his troops to the best of his ability during the ongoing winter break. If the personnel at Aston Martin can come up with a title-worthy challenger next year, then there will be nothing stopping Fernando alonso from having a serious go at the 2024 title.
In case you missed it:
- Toto Wolff insists Red Bull shouldn’t be constrained for the sake of ‘spectacle’, says its ‘up to Mercedes and Ferrari to do a better job’
- WATCH: Max Verstappen marks his third title win, cutting an RB19-inspired cake joined by his partner Kelly Piquet and Sergio Perez