Toto Wolff deems Felipe Massa’s Crashgate lawsuit nothing short of a ‘soap opera’
Toto Wolff has bashed Felipe Massa for his ongoing crashgate lawsuit.

Toto Wolff (via IMAGO)
Felipe Massa and his lawyers are hard at work in their pursuit of changing the result of the 2008 F1 World Championship. The lawsuit has been based on the infamous Crashgate incident and while a lot has been said about it by various esteemed personalities, Mercedes Boss, Toto Wolff has deemed it as nothing short of a soap opera.
Toto Wolff ardently believes that Felipe Massa and Co. don’t have a strong case and does not see anything major going their way in the ongoing lawsuit. He is of the opinion that rules are to respected and if everyone starts coming up with past incidents, the sport would lose its charm, and the world-renowned presence it has made for itself in recent years.
While sharing his thoughts on Felipe Massa’s ongoing tussle, he told Autosport, “I don’t think he has a case, to be honest. We are signing up to sporting regulations. They’re very clear, and you commit as a license holder. If everybody were to open up situations then the sport would be in disarray.”
“And especially when you look at the full championships: there’s so many things that have an influence whether you win or lose that I don’t see the case to be honest. On the civil case side, I don’t know, let’s evaluate whether there’s some damages that could be claimed. I think reputation, they have a difficult position, what is it? But yeah, for me, this is like watching a telenovela, or soap opera playing out in front of me.”
Discover: Daniel Ricciardo is expected to make his F1 return at the Qatar GP
Felipe Massa is not bothered by Toto Wolff’s comments
While Toto Wolff has left no stone unturned in ridiculing Felipe Massa for his ongoing antics, the latter on the other hand, does not care what Wolff or anyone else have to say about him. Massa added, “I think this just shows that we are on the right path and that people in F1 are realising the seriousness and importance of our case.”

Looking at the reaction of Massa, it is quite clear that his spirits have not taken any hit despite the criticism he has received so far. If anything, he has become more determined than ever to achieve their objective. He genuinely believes that he has a strong case and is willing to fight tooth and nail for it.
Bravo @Charles_Leclerc e sempre forza Gilles . ?? https://t.co/qKcMMcKTI2
— Felipe Massa (@MassaFelipe19) June 18, 2023
During the 2008 F1 season, Felipe Massa was Ferrari’s driver, and while he is still to get the Italian outfit’s support in his ongoing tussle, his lawyers are expected to make a remarkable approach to Lewis Hamilton to get him on board. The Massa tussle is here to stay and is going to stretch further in the upcoming months.
In case you missed it:
- Adrian Newey explains the real reason behind Red Bull’s timid outing at the Singapore GP
- Lewis Hamilton claims George Russell made a wrong pit call in Singapore GP, says he ‘would have stayed out’