Benjamin Mendy faces new allegations in court, 7 counts of serious charges

French footballer faces new accusations filed against him. With the judge determined to make sure there is no further delay, it remains to be seen how long it takes before the final verdict from the court.

Benjamin Mendy

Benjamin Mendy has appeared in court to face a new allegation of attempted rape. The Manchester City player (suspended) appeared for a brief hearing at Chester Crown Court, where a judge ruled that the new charge the Frenchman faces can now be reported.

At the pre-trial hearing, Judge Patrick Thompson urged lawyers to make sure that there is no further delay. The judge set a date for a trial, estimated to last up to six weeks, starting on July 25, with a further pre-trial hearing for March 11.

He said: “It’s not fair on the complainants and not fair on the defendants.

“I’m conscious of the fact that the complainants have already suffered significant delay.

“Say, for example, Mr Mendy, his career is on hold. Everyone has got to understand Mr Mendy can’t go to work. This matter needs to be tried.”

Benjamin Mendy
Benjamin Mendy faces new allegations in court, 7 counts of serious charges 2

Benjamin Mendy is now accused of a total of nine offences after his latest appearance at Chester Crown Court. The alleged offences include three counts of rape said to have happened on 11 October 2020, sexual touching on 2 January last year, two counts of rape on 24 July and two counts of rape on 23 August.

Judge Thompson, at the end of Wednesday’s 90-minute hearing, told both the defendants: “You will next be required to attend on Friday the 11th of March.

“You both have your bail on conditions as before.”

Benjamin Mendy nodded and replied: “OK.”

Also read: Manchester United youngster Mason Greenwood accused by his girlfriend in shocking Instagram post 

Benjamin Mendy’s initial charges and bail

Benjamin Mendy was initially indicted on multiple counts of sexual assault on August 26, 2021, and held in custody for four months. After getting two initial bail requests denied, the 27-year-old was finally granted bail on January 7 and was present again at Chester Crown Court on Wednesday for the latest update in his criminal case.

Apart from the new charges, Mendy was already facing seven counts of rape and one of sexual assault relating to incidents alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021 involving five women.

Also read: Fan cancels season shirt sponsorship over the club’s signing of a rapist