Andy Murray gives update about his Mixed Doubles pairing with Serena Williams for the Wimbledon 2021

Serena Williams and Andy Murray
Andy Murray will be back on the Centre Court of the All-England Club as he accepts the wildcard for the 2021 Wimbledon Championships after not having played in the Singles event since 2017.
Murray was defeated in the quarter-finals of the 2017 Wimbledon losing to American Sam Querrey in a 5-set thriller. That was the last tournament for Murray that season and began his downfall in rankings as he continued to struggle with injuries and rehabilitation after multiple surgeries.
His 2019 Mixed Doubles pairing with Serena Williams who had won the Mixed Doubles title at the 1998 Wimbledon, became the fan favourite pair for the tournament as both the former World No. 1 players looked to get back to their best forms. They however were knocked out in the 3rd round to the top-seeds for the tournament.
Speaking about whether the duo will pair-up for this edition of the Grand Slam, Murray said, “No, I hadn’t planned on it this time. Singles is enough for me. Getting through singles matches has proved tough enough the last year or so. So I’ll stick to singles this year.”
Murray will play the Singles event in Wimbledon after 4 years

Murray opted to not participate in the 2018 Wimbledon and played in the Doubles and Mixed Doubles category in the 2019 Wimbledon, thus not playing in the Singles category for the 2nd consecutive year. With the 2020 edition cancelled due to the Pandemic, he will make his return to the Singles event this time with a Wildcard given to him.
Murray made his debut at his home Grand Slam in 2005 and had to wait till the 2013 Wimbledon to lift the coveted trophy after losing in the finals of the 2012 Wimbledon to Roger Federer. He became first British man to win the Wimbledon since 1936 and the first Scottish player to win a Wimbledon singles title since 1896, when he defeated Novak Djokovic in the 2013 finals.
Talking about his preparation for the Championships, Murray said, “So, in the build-up to Queen’s I was doing like one hard day, one light day. That is what the plan is to do this week as well. Practise with (Marin) Cilic today hopefully at Queen’s – provided the rain stays off for a little bit. Try and play like a couple of sets. Then tomorrow, do less moving and do more specific work.
“And then Wednesday again play sets. Probably, I’ll take one day off between now and the start of the tournament but that’s the plan this week: one hard day, one easy day, try and play as many sets as I can in the build-up.“
Andy Murray not sure about his family joining him for the Championships

With the former Champion returning to his home Grand Slam, there is no doubt about the rallying support and appreciation Murray will receive when he takes the court. He is however not sure whether his family will be joining him for the matches or not, given the Pandemic restrictions that have been put in place.
“I’m not sure exactly what the deal is with that option. I am not sure if it is appropriate for kids and there is not anywhere for them to hang out. Usually when the player lounge is open, they have a crèche and things for the kids. I’m not sure if that’s the case this year or not. I’m not sure if they are coming to watch. Maybe my parents will come along. But Kim and the kids, I’m not sure.” concluded Murray
With the Championships less than a week away, the anticipation for the tournament has already got the fans excited to see their favourite stars back in action on the lawns of All-England Club which will open the doors to the fans this year with the tournament confirming that fans will be allowed and the finals will see 100% capacity occupied.
Also Read: WATCH: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic, who is the GOAT? Andy Murray weighs in