The recent $21 billion acquisition of WWE by Endeavor has caused a lot of commotion lately. Following the merger, the Stamford-based promotion reportedly fired more than 100 backstage employees. Recently, WWE also released many superstars as part of budget cuts, including some prominent names such as Dolph Ziggler and Mustafa Ali.
A few fan favorites have been caught in the crossfire. WWE superstar Big E has penned down an emotional message after hearing the news of his former mentor, Dolph Ziggler, being released from the company. Superstars like Shelton Benjamin, Emma, Elias, Riddick Moss, Rick Boogs and Top Dolla were all part of the 2023 September release.
However, the fans had a huge heartbreak after the news of the former 2-time World Champion’s release. Dolph Ziggler’s release took the WWE Universe by shock as it came as a bolt from the blue. Following the news, The Showoff’s former prodigy, Big E, took to X to write a warm send-off message to the veteran.
Big E says, “I was so immensely fortunate to start my time on the main roster next to @HEELZiggler. I learned so many lessons about this craft by watching and listening. One of the smoothest workers I’ve ever been in the ring with. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me, Zig Man.”
Big E hopped onto the main roster with the gimmick of being a bodyguard to the 43-year-old alongside AJ Lee. Before his release, Dolph Ziggler was written off WWE television for a long time. Fans last saw him during an episode on Monday Night Raw in May 2023. Ziggler has been a veteran in WWE, with a career spanning around two decades.
The WWE Universe wishes to see him in other promotions now that he has been released. They feel like the former World Champion has more to offer the business. WWE has in the past re-signed many superstars who were previously released as a part of the budget cuts. Only time will tell if Ziggler will join the list of rehired superstars.
The Powerhouse of New Day suffered a neck injury back in March 2022 during a tag team match in SmackDown. As a result, he went through a surgery and is currently away from WWE television. During his appearance on Corey Graves’ After The Bell podcast, the former WWE Champion shed light on his situation.
“I feel great. Unfortunately, I don’t have a timetable, but the great thing is, I feel 100 percent. I don’t even feel like somebody who broke their neck. My mobility is incredible, my strength is great, and I have no issues whatsoever. I wish I had some answers on returning to the ring—I got nothing, unfortunately,” he said.
The WWE Universe is eager to see The New Day back together in its fullest glory. The 37-year-old’s return to the squared circle is something the fans are currently speculating about. It will be interesting to see when Big E makes his much-anticipated return to the Stamford-based promotion.
Subhasish Deb is an editor and content writer for the WWE column at FirstSportz. He has been working as a news correspondent in the sports industry for two years, doing live coverage of all the exclusive Premium Live Events. He has been a passionate WWE fan and grew up watching it from a very young age. Besides, Deb is a creative writer well versed in literary devices.
FirstSportz is the First Stop for all sports fanatics. Starting in 2019, we initially covered Olympic Sports, but in 2021 we added every other sport which you might be looking for, like NFL, Golf, MLB, WWE Cricket, Football, Tennis, Esports, NBA, MMA and more.